Four Lions - Chris Morris' Jihadi Comedy Page 2

Quote: Kenneth @ April 8 2009, 12:49 PM BST

What happened to Carry On London?

It's had delay after delay after delay. Last I heard was that the sets had all been built and they were waiting to actually film it.

Quote: Aaron @ April 8 2009, 12:52 PM BST

It's had delay after delay after delay. Last I heard was that the sets had all been built and they were waiting to actually film it.

Oh, nothing like an old Carry On then.

Quote: Aaron @ April 8 2009, 12:52 PM BST

I can't see the point in calling it a Carry On though. No James? No Williams? No Hawtrey? It was those sort of performers that made the Carry Ons special. I imagine they think having the title tagged on at the start might give it some mass appeal or something, but I don't think anyone would truly regard it as a proper Carry On alongside the original cannon.

No, I know what you mean. I suppose it's down to the style and humour though. They weren't in all of the originals anyway. Sid James was only in 19 of the 31, for example.

Generally, I'm a bit nervous of adding any more to the Carry On stable. But I'd dearly love some of that humour back on screen.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 8 2009, 12:59 PM BST

I can't see the point in calling it a Carry On though. No James? No Williams? No Hawtrey? It was those sort of performers that made the Carry Ons special. I imagine they think having the title tagged on at the start might give it some mass appeal or something, but I don't think anyone would truly regard it as a proper Carry On alongside the original cannon.

What did you think of Carry On Columbus? I liked it, even though Babs Windsor and Joan Sims snubbed it as rubbish.

Quote: Kenneth @ April 8 2009, 1:07 PM BST

What did you think of Carry On Columbus? I liked it, even though Babs Windsor and Joan Sims snubbed it as rubbish.

I only watched it the once, about ten years or so ago, and I didn't really like it. To be honest I didn't make it all the way through. It felt like they were trying to copy this very dated style, rather than just make a silly, funny film. But like I say, I haven't seen it since I was a kid, so I may very well be wrong!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 8 2009, 12:59 PM BST

I can't see the point in calling it a Carry On though.

It's a hook to market the film on. Nothing more, nothing less.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 8 2009, 1:13 PM BST

I only watched it the once, about ten years or so ago, and I didn't really like it. To be honest I didn't make it all the way through. It felt like they were trying to copy this very dated style, rather than just make a silly, funny film. But like I say, I haven't seen it since I was a kid, so I may very well be wrong!

Same (sort-of). I watched it at the cinema when it was released. I was hugely disappointed that Rik Mayall and Niger Planer had such tiny roles, so I didn't think much of it. But I got it on DVD a few months ago and quite liked it, even though it's not on par with the Williams-James-Hawtrey-Sims-Connor stuff.

Back on topic, did anyone here donate to Chris Morris's new project with the hope of becoming an extra?

Quote: chipolata @ April 8 2009, 1:31 PM BST

It's a hook to market the film on. Nothing more, nothing less.

Well yeah, I get why really. Though I'm not entirely sure how much of an audience that would automatically pull in these days.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 8 2009, 1:33 PM BST

Though I'm not entirely sure how much of an audience that would automatically pull in these days.

<goes back off topic> A huge audience I would think, at least in the opening week. So much nostalgia for Carry Ons.

Quote: chipolata @ April 8 2009, 11:41 AM BST

This films never going to happen, is it? :(

I live in Sheffield and stumbled into a film crew filming on our tram system this morning. Watched a few takes of an asian bloke answering a phone, swearing a bit and then walking out of shot. Thought it must be a student film or something and was surprised the tram wasnt cordoned off.

Then I heard the director giving orders and it was Chris Morris. I got a little bit excited and wanted to hang about and see if I could find out a bit more, but Chris looked stressed (cause people kept getting on and off the tram while he was shooting) and I was, after all, going to work.

So I guess this is what was being filmed. Had read about it before but have never stumbled on any filming before so to find one of my comedy heroes on a tram was quite exciting.

Much as I love Chris Morris, he doesn't seem to be as productive as, say, Armando Iannucci. I wonder if this is because he's a lazy bugger or if it's more to do with people not wanting to finance his stuff. Mmm.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ April 27 2009, 2:26 PM BST

Much as I love Chris Morris, he doesn't seem to be as productive as, say, Armando Iannucci. I wonder if this is because he's a lazy bugger or if it's more to do with people not wanting to finance his stuff. Mmm.

Plus he's quite scary. And I'd imagine hard work. Graham linehan hinted as much about his relationship with him on the IT Crowd.

Quote: chipolata @ April 27 2009, 2:33 PM BST

Plus he's quite scary. And I'd imagine hard work. Graham linehan hinted as much about his relationship with him on the IT Crowd.

Ah, I was not aware that Mr Linehan expressed this view. I shall look it up.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ April 27 2009, 2:35 PM BST

Ah, I was not aware that Mr Linehan expressed this view. I shall look it up.

Well, I'm probably extrapolating quite a lot. But I remember he talked about how many "discussions" he had with Morris about how scenes should be done.