Four Lions - Chris Morris' Jihadi Comedy

Turns out the terrorist project we've been waiting for, having been rejected by C4 and the BBC, is now going to be a feature called Four Lions:

"Following rumours in the press and online, Warpfilms can confirm that Chris Morris' comedy about british jihadis is being made by Warpfilms as an independently funded cinema feature. The script has been written by Chris in collaboration with Jesse Armstrong and Sam Bain and is now ready to shoot. Production will begin as soon as we are fully funded. To that end we are running a number of investment schemes including donations which give you the chance to be in the film.

Online: http://www.throughsilver.eu/2008/09/morris2.html

In the press: http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/2008/09/morris_terrorist_comedy_set_for_cinema.html

This from the administrator of the Warp Film facebook page:

"Many people have asked us exactly what the Four Lions project is. Clearly we can't launch the film before its been shot, but I've pulled together a few paragraphs from the paperwork that's been flying around. Its shameless hype but its accurate – unlike almost everything you will have read in the press. No one who has read the script could disagree with a word here.
In three years of research, Chris Morris has spoken to terrorism experts, imams, police, secret services and hundreds of Muslims. Even those who have trained and fought jihad report the frequency of farce. At training camps young jihadis argue about honey, cry for their mums, shoot each other's feet off, chase snakes and get thrown out for smoking. A minute into his martyrdom video, a would-be bomber looks puzzled and says "what was the question again?" On millennium eve, five jihadis set out to ram a US warship. They slipped their boat into the water and carefully stacked it with explosives. It sank.

Terrorist cells have the same group dynamics as stag parties and five a side football teams. There is conflict, friendship, misunderstanding and rivalry. Terrorism is about ideology, but it's also about berks.
Four Lions is a funny, thrilling fictional story that illuminates modern British jihad with an insight beyond anything else in our culture. It plunges us beyond seeing these young men as unfathomably alien. It undermines the folly of just wishing them away or alienating the entire culture from which they emerge. It understands how terrorism relates to testosterone. It understands jihadis as human beings. And it understands human beings as innately ridiculous. As Spinal Tap understood heavy metal and Dr Strangelove the Cold War, Four Lions understands modern British jihadis."

Oh yes I meant to post this.

I think it sounds amazing. I was never quite sure what it was supposed to be about before.

To that end we are running a number of investment schemes including donations which give you the chance to be in the film.

The ideal money-making opportunity now that Iceland thing hasn't really worked out.

Seriously though, this film looks fantastic.

How can anybody with a knowledge of Chris Morris's work, reject anything this man creates?

Quote: Electric Cornflakes @ October 10 2008, 5:14 PM BST

How can anybody with a knowledge of Chris Morris's work, reject anything this man creates?

I'm guessing Channel 4 were probably too scared to get involved with it.

And the whole point of Channel 4 is supposed to be the opposite of that. :(

Scaredy chickens.

Quote: Electric Cornflakes @ October 10 2008, 5:14 PM BST

I imagine it's got something to do with Nathan Barley.

Quote: Winterlight @ October 10 2008, 10:27 PM BST

I imagine it's got something to do with Nathan Barley.

Well, I don't think anything he's done has exactly been a ratings winner. Barley was brilliant though.

I'm very much looking forward to this, knew it might have a little trouble being financed for what I would have thought were obvious reasons.

Also glad that it doesn't look like it will resemble my own satirical feature covering similar ground.

Does anyone know how to get a peek at the script?

This news today:

Due to this week's final confirmation on our funding, your chance to be in the film has just become more real... no specifics yet but it might be worth getting yourself physically fit over the summer. We may need you to do some running on camera this autumn (to cut into our shots from the london marathon last year).
This last word on our financing means we can move from faith to reality and actually start putting together a full team over the next few months. Rewrites continue. There have been meetings about posters (this seems to be far more important than actually getting the film cast, written and shot). Location planning reports are good - we are currently focused on the Alps for Pakistan.
More news when the work kicks in. Meanwhile go and see In The Loop. Chris has been banging on about it since Christmas & says it is "very funny" and had him laughing "in three different registers".

This films never going to happen, is it? :(

It is starting to look increasingly unlikely.

The Alps for Pakistan? Carry On Up The Khyber managed very well with Snowdonia.

Film looks interesting though, but it'll go the same way as Carry On London

What happened to Carry On London?

Quote: Kenneth @ April 8 2009, 12:49 PM BST

What happened to Carry On London?

I imagine they couldn't get the money together.

I hope something does happen with this film; I want some new Chris Morris material!