Dead Set - Charlie Brooker's Horror Show Page 14

Was wondering how it was going to end. Brooker was obviously attempting to make a big statement but I can't help but feel it came across as a direct copy (albeit a well made and very watchable copy) of all the decent zombie flicks that preceded it.

A decent bit of TV (and, as I said previously, really good to see a good bit of gore/horror on the box) though it's not something I'd watch again (or buy).

Now - in a similar format to 'Dead Set', let's have a TV homage to:

- Shape-shifting / identity stealing alien organisms (a-la 'The Thing')

- Mad scientist pissing about in his lab and gradually turning into something very nasty indeed (a-la 'The Fly')

- Two colleagues attempting to uncover a fiendish plot whilst battling the most despicable of adversaries (a-la Cannon & Ball's 'The Boys In Blue')

Quote: Aaron @ October 31 2008, 11:37 PM BST

Ha. How would she manage that? Did she have anything with her? Was she the one left holding the axe?

Quote: zooo @ October 31 2008, 11:42 PM BST

Yes she had the axe!

If she'd tried that and kind of cocked it up, would E4 have shown her axe-wound? Huh?

Quote: zooo @ October 31 2008, 11:42 PM BST

Yes she had the axe!

That would have been kinda cool then!

Quote: Mick Green @ October 31 2008, 11:46 PM BST

- Two colleagues attempting to uncover a fiendish plot whilst battling the most despicable of adversaries (a-la Cannon & Ball's 'The Boys In Blue')

:D

Well, I found it to be thoroughly underwhelming. Reasonably entertaining, but nothing special at all, and as Mick says, I wouldn't watch it again, let alone buy.

I definitely wouldn't buy it. But I'll possibly record the full length repeat instead. :)

Ha.

Quote: Mick Green @ October 31 2008, 11:32 PM BST

Still an obnoxious bastard, even when torn in half? Hmmmm...

It reminded me of when this guy bought it in the original Day Of The Dead movie.

I enjoyed the series, although some of the camera work was annoying.

Yes. And when Dylan Moran got eated in Shaun.

Yes indeedy. :)

I was disappointed with it, ultimately. Started off well, but didn't go anywhere and consequently felt overlong. The 25 min episodes hurt the flow as well, as just as you were getting into it, it ended. I never like the murky, digital shaky-cam they use for these things either.

One thing: do they let people as old as Kevin Eldon get onto Big Brother? I never watch it, but I get the impression they don't.

I enjoyed it. Brooker had a lot of fun with the Big Brother culture and there were some effective shocks. Would possibly have worked better as a one-of film, but I guess the idea was to mirror the nightly Big Brother format.

Not sure why it was shunted off into the wilderness of E4.

I've just watched the final episode. I loved it.

Quote: Bad dog @ November 1 2008, 10:38 AM BST

One thing: do they let people as old as Kevin Eldon get onto Big Brother?

Yes.

The Big Brother side of it was perfectly done, trust me. (I've er, watched all of it.)

I'm not sure whether I slightly missed something or not, but I expected a bit more from the ending, maybe for Brooker to say something new with it. But he didn't seem to, just more of what he'd been saying all the way through. Drawing metaphors between zombies and the BB viewing public etc.

Was still fantastic though. Was genuinely scared when they all poured in the viewing runs at the end. Yikes.

Quote: zooo @ November 1 2008, 12:39 PM BST

Drawing metaphors between zombies and the BB viewing public etc.

See, I'm such a retard I didn't even notice that.

Awww. It's something Shaun did too. So I might not have noticed if I hadn't already been educated by Shaun 101.