Comedy Lab - 2008 Series Page 14

The second half was worse than the first. I cannot believe how dire this was. Woeful comedy. Hideous in fact.

And, in case there's any confusion, I'm commenting on Pappy's Fun Club there.

Looooads of people I know, with great comedy taste, LOVE Pappy's Fun Club.

I just don't get it.

Zooo - do you think it's something that has simply grown by word of mouth / hype then, with very little substance behind it, as I didn't find one remotely amusing moment in the whole show?

I've just watched both episodes, on Channel 4+1, and thought they were both terrible. As someone said, the first one might've been funny 5 years ago, and the second one, well it was just shite.

Obviously late to the discussion, as usual, but just watched School of Comedy and thought it was excellent. Really enjoyed it.

The ginger lad I thought was very good in Seefacts sketches (you seem to have brought the best out of him, SF) but not quite as good in the other stuff. The smaller lad (from the 'Parents' Evening' sketch) is an absolute comedy genius! He's very nearly as good as Carl Rice.

The miming to songs bit: probably not for everyone but got me laughing a lot. I think this is a nice signature idea. Especially the 'Separate Lives' bit before the ads. Excellent.

On the other hand, I really liked Scallywagga so what do I know!

Haven't watched any of the other shows yet, but 'Pappy's Fun Club' were great live when I saw them last year. Much better than I expected from the name.

And, for reference, Barunka O'Shaughnessy was probably the best thing about the excellent Respectable, as the Bosnian prostitute.

Dan

Pappy's Fun Club. The biggest load of self-indulgent wank I have seen on television this year. Why did no one think to tell them that stand up humour doesn't work on TV when presented as a straight TV programme? (As opposed to broadcasting a recorded performance: see Live At The Apollo.)

My girlfriend described it as "The kind of thing you'd see in a student bar, which people only think is funny because they're drunk."

So less "Pappy", more just plain "pap".

Quote: Aaron @ August 29 2008, 11:01 AM BST

My girlfriend described it as "The kind of thing you'd see in a student bar, which people only think is funny because they're drunk."

Whoah there! You have a girlfriend?

Fiancée really.

Surely you mean your betrothed? !

:)

I only watched the Olivia thing last night. Didn't Daisy Donovan do all this ten years ago? And it wasn't very funny then either. I was too tired to watch the Pappy thing after it.

Also, if Aaron's girlfriend wants her opinions on this site she should join like the rest of us. I'm sure she'd be welcome. ;)

Quote: Aaron @ August 29 2008, 11:57 AM BST

Fiancée really.

Can we stick to the thread topic, please.

Does anyone know how old the Pappy's Fun club cast are? They made a joke about one of them turning 29, but I doubt any of them are really that old, are they?

Pappy's Fun Club really are an amazingly good act on the comedy circuit, and I defy anyone to actually go see them and not have a brilliant time.

Having said that they lost a lot in the transition to TV, but this is their first ever TV project. The problem with channels screening pilots is that people just look at them and say "this is shit, I could do better than this", forgetting that any good comedians on TV did ALOT of shit TV shows that were badly written and thought out, before they made something that was good.

So don't be suprised if Pappy's Fun Club manage to rework their show into something that works slightly better, get commissioned and have a mediocre series on Channel 4, do more mediocre TV work, then 5 years down the line they come out with something that everyone on this forum thinks is amazing.

Edited by Aaron.

Gareth, are you friends with them or something?

You're right though, that even the most succesful comedians have started out on something which was not so great.

Nah, I just get a little annoyed at how practically everything gets slated on these forums.

Edited by Aaron.