Comedy Lab - 2008 Series Page 16

Quote: Stan Doubt @ August 30 2008, 10:48 PM BST

Agreed. It's the same as making a film of a play by sticking a camera in the theatre. If there was a pirated version where a guy in the audience sneaked in a camera it'd be the same.

What did people think was the best one of the pilots?

Stan I am not sure what the polite version of bollocks is... but. I haven't seen the live show but what you suggest completely ignores what is the conceit of it as a theatrical experience and the transposed conceit of it is for the TV pilot.

Yes, and that part didn't work too well. It still felt like someone was filming an act at the Edinburgh Festival. What made it good was that it was funny.

Yeah but isn't the thing called comedy lab? I.e experimental, i.e let's not judge it as a fully formed thing. That's what works for me and I'd like to see more of it. I'm a lapsed Catholic by birth, but catholic with a small c for my Comedy.

Just in case anyone has missed spotting this in the schedules (I almost did, as for some reason it's not technically a Comedy Lab), The Incredible Will and Greg - a pilot sketch show - is on C4 tonight (23.40).

Quote: Griff @ August 31 2008, 1:56 PM BST

Greg McHugh's stand-up routine "Gary Tank Commander" is terrific. I think he's doing that character in this pilot?

He is indeed Griff. And here's a boring bit of trivia about the character: "Gary Tank Commander, who by appearing in Blowout (Channel 4), Gary's War (More 4), Gary: Tank Commander (E4) and online has become the first comic character to appear on all four of Channel 4's platforms."

Quote: Mark @ August 31 2008, 2:01 PM BST

He is indeed Griff. And here's a boring bit of trivia about the character: "Gary Tank Commander, who by appearing in Blowout (Channel 4), Gary's War (More 4), Gary: Tank Commander (E4) and online has become the first comic character to appear on all four of Channel 4's platforms."

Are you Ian Wolf in disguise?

Is one of them out of 'Sorry I've got no Head'? Think I recognise him...

Channel 4 has commissioned a full series of School Of Comedy, the sketch show aimed at adults but performed by children.

A pilot recently aired as part of the broadcaster's experimental Comedy Lab strand, and now a full six-part series has been ordered for broadcast next year.

The show is written by a team of leading live sketch performers, including Barunka O'Shaughnessy, Toby Davies, Watson and Oliver and Trippplicate. It was first performed at the 2007 Edinburgh Fringe, before being picked up for TV.

Channel 4's comedy commissioning editor Caroline Leddy said: ‘This idea was great on the page, fantastic live and really brilliant on the telly.'

Executive producer Andy Harries added: ‘School of Comedy is one of the most exciting and rewarding shows I have been involved in for years.

‘It's brilliant to be in a room full of kids with such natural energy and comic talent. The TV pilot was created from scratch in just a few weeks and it was a stimulating and inspiring journey for everyone involved.

‘Its performance at its simplest and most natural, and the reaction to both the live shows and the pilot has been extraordinary. C4 have been tremendous supporters and it's great to have an opportunity to really have some fun with a series on E4.'

Laura Lawson, who devised the show, said: ‘From the very first workshop when the youngest kids were only nine years old to the filming of the pilot this year I have had the journey of a lifetime.

‘The talent and drive of this amazing cast, and the younger children waiting to make their school of comedy debut, makes the past four years and the programme a joy to write and produce… From tiny acorns grew huge nuts, and boy they were fun!'

Channel 4's Comedy Lab, now in its eleventh year, has previously helped discover such talent as Peter Kay, Jimmy Carr, Mitchell & Webb and Russell Brand.

Yaaaaaay!

Quote: The Cool Mikado @ September 11 2008, 4:51 PM BST

The show is written by a team of leading live sketch performers

And Seefacts ;)

Was School of Comedy shown again this week? I still haven't seen it.

Quote: catskillz @ September 26 2008, 2:16 AM BST

Was School of Comedy shown again this week? I still haven't seen it.

You can watch it on 4oD for free if you can be bothered to download the software (it's incorrectly titled as Kids School Of Comedy on there).

Quote: The Cool Mikado @ September 11 2008, 4:51 PM BST

Channel 4's Comedy Lab, now in its eleventh year, has previously helped discover such talent as Peter Kay, Jimmy Carr, Mitchell & Webb and Russell Brand.

Given that he's one of the biggest comedy forces in the world now....why is Gervais always left off that list?

First time I ever heard of Gervais was on The Eleven O'Clock Show (and maybe some street-interviewing-type-stuff for someone). Was that part of The Comedy Lab? Or are you referring to something else?

Quote: Pete @ September 27 2008, 6:55 PM BST

Given that he's one of the biggest comedy forces in the world now....why is Gervais always left off that list?

Because the 11 O'Clock Show gave him his break before Comedy Lab, not mention his CL wasn't that good.