Comedy Lab - 2008 Series Page 15

It was original and it was the first thing I've seen in ages that didn't feel like it was written by the same 20 sketch writers who write everything. It also made me laugh out loud.

Rough? Maybe. Too wedded to their stage origins? Probably.

But the Harry Hill style use of costumes, the songs, that sweetly sick joke about the Unicorn. The fact that it was one giant meta sketch, drawing in endless minor sketches.

The sheer good natured nature of it.

This is Peewee Herman style stuff or early Vic and Bob. In the whole it was great.

Some times this forum feels like it's tastes were frozen in 1982 like poor Buck Rogers.

The show that preceded it was truly awful though.

Quote: Gareth @ August 29 2008, 4:44 PM BST

Nah, I just get a little annoyed at how practically everything gets slated on these forums.

Edited by Aaron.

No, it doesn't! It's a lot more polite here than other places. Maybe the bad comments hit home more than the good comments.

I haven't seen the Pappy's Fun Club pilot yet, but will watch and digest over the weekend. I thought they were good live (bordering on excellent TBH) and will probably enjoy it because I'm a lot more forgiving of comedy than a few others. That doesn't make them wrong in their opinions though.

Dan

I am coming to the conclusion that I must be a bit of a moron or very easily pleased because I laughed out loud lots of times, completely sober mind you, watching Pappy's Fun club just now.

You're not a moron! Unless all my friends are too...

Quote: Mick Green @ August 29 2008, 12:37 AM BST

Zooo - do you think it's something that has simply grown by word of mouth / hype then, with very little substance behind it, as I didn't find one remotely amusing moment in the whole show?

All the fans I know have seen it live, and heard about it through word of mouth, yes.

I guess it must just work better on stage.

I think they had something on radio recently(?), and I was told by them all to listen to that and I'd love it. But I just found it really boring.
Maybe it's a grower.
Also the fact they built it up so much never does any favours.

I think Aaron's (alleged) girlfriend summed it up best. To paraphrase - Ok, for some Am-Dram group, but not national TV.

Yes it did seem very studenty.

But that's kind of why I liked it, the sort of silly stuff you normally have to go to Edinburgh to see. A jolly and mad kind of idiosyncracity to it. Two of the performers were better than their chums though. I kind of like unsophisticated f**k it lets have a bit of fun stuff. Not sure it will get a series but I predict Man without a limp man will appear in a lot of comedy over years to come.

And the woman in the camera one before it scared me slightly.

:)

The Edinburgh fest feel did put me off at the beginning, but as it made me laugh a fair bit, I really enjoyed it. Or maybe that was the wine. Could do with more cut-aways though.
Olivia Lee's Naughty Bits also made me laugh, a lot, but it didn't feel very original. Sometimes she was brilliant, and sometimes she was trying too hard. When it was good, it was really good though. Might be hard to keep that up for a whole series.

Quote: chipolata @ August 29 2008, 12:10 PM BST

Also, if Aaron's girlfriend wants her opinions on this site she should join like the rest of us.

She joined long before you did.

You mean one of the laydees on this site is your missus? Ooh mystery do I get a Scoobee snack if I solve it?

Quote: swerytd @ August 29 2008, 4:51 PM BST

I haven't seen the Pappy's Fun Club pilot yet, but will watch and digest over the weekend. I thought they were good live (bordering on excellent TBH) and will probably enjoy it because I'm a lot more forgiving of comedy than a few others. That doesn't make them wrong in their opinions though.

I'm about as forgiving as you can get, and thought it was dire.

Quote: Aaron @ August 29 2008, 11:57 AM BST

Fiancée really.

Quote: David Bussell @ August 29 2008, 12:15 PM BST

Can we stick to the thread topic, please.

Laughing out loud

OK, back on topic... I've just watched these last two Comedy Labs...

I thought Olivia Lee's show was great. Like an updated Trigger Happy TV. It was refreshingly upbeat too, no 'nasty' sketches. Highlights were the toaster harddrive, and the man in the bathroom shop who you could see was actually contemplating whether it'd be ok to accept the offer of sex from someone who was clearly mad.

Pappy's Fun Club was a big disappointment though, I take my previous words back. The concept was cool - but it just didn't really work in the end did it. As has been said earlier in the thread, they do great stuff live so it's a shame they didn't just transfer these wholesale to the TV.

I missed the Olivia Lee one. I am guessing that the promise of seeing her naughty bits was just a come on. Cockteaser.

Pappy left me mystified. It was like they were parodying some incredibly shit show that I had never seen. Or was that just them? I did not get it.

Quote: Mark @ August 29 2008, 10:45 PM BST

they do great stuff live so it's a shame they didn't just transfer these wholesale to the TV.

I think the problem was that that is EXACTLY what they did.

Agreed. It's the same as making a film of a play by sticking a camera in the theatre. If there was a pirated version where a guy in the audience sneaked in a camera it'd be the same.

What did people think was the best one of the pilots?