Not Going Out - Series 3 Page 77

In thinking that somebody at the Beep does not like "NGO". I notice that the Series Miranda is shown 3 times each week, I wonder if they add the viewing figuers up for that week?

She's from the same "family" though.

Perhaps she's the annoying sister that everyone loves...

I'm assuming that the potential fourth series will depend on how the ratings do for the Christmas Special. I hope lots of people watch! :)

Quote: Martin H @ December 5 2009, 4:57 PM GMT

I'm assuming that the potential fourth series will depend on how the ratings do for the Christmas Special. I hope lots of people watch! :)

Maybe we should all turn on 3 TVs with it on.

Quote: Chappers @ December 5 2009, 9:06 PM GMT

Maybe we should all turn on 3 TVs with it on.

Well unless those three TVs have BARB boxes it won't make any difference to the actual figures. But I agree with the sentiment. :D

Do they still have those BARB boxes to calculate viewing figures? It always seemed to me like a hugely inaccurate way of estimating audience totals.

Surely in this satellite TV age, they can now calculate exactly who is watching what.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ December 6 2009, 2:25 PM GMT

Do they still have those BARB boxes to calculate viewing figures? It always seemed to me like a hugely inaccurate way of estimating audience totals.

Surely in this satellite TV age, they can now calculate exactly who is watching what.

There's a good reason that Sky boxes are connected to phone lines.

But AFAIK, they don't go toward the official figures.

They don't count iPlayer views either.

I still don't know how they can work it out. It's all guesstimation.

Woohoo! another episode,cant wait.:D

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ December 6 2009, 2:25 PM GMT

It's creaky beyond belief. If someone with a BARB box happens to accidently leave the TV on whilst Bargain Hunt goes out, they give the programme 1000s more viewers (incidentally, a forgetful granny is the only explanation I have as to why BH hasn't been cancelled yet).

BARB are actually changing their audience panel soon (full story), something which is predicted to boost the ratings recorded on some shows by up to 5% (which can be the difference between something getting the axe or not!)

Why they use BARB boxes when Sky and the iPlayer has more reliable figures I don't know, but there we go.

Anyway, whether or not you have a BARB box... watch this final Not Going Out episode anyway. It's funny, and the more people that talk about it the better (there's a BBC tool in development that tracks what people are talking about most on the internet)

Quote: Mark @ December 8 2009, 5:42 PM GMT

Why they use BARB boxes when Sky and the iPlayer has more reliable figures I don't know, but there we go.

I heard a Beeb suit say recently that they use the old system because it allows comparisons between viewing figures for different shows. So you could say NGO got x% of Eastenders, for example, or that it got y% of the show that used to occupy that slot.

Quote: Mark @ December 8 2009, 5:42 PM GMT

there's a BBC tool in development

I imagine there's quite a few tools in Development at the BBC.

Bit of news for those hoping for more of this show. A review of Lee Mack's latest stand up show (from today's Times), appears to help confirm the rumours...

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/stage/comedy/article6955071.ece

No wonder such a cheer comes from the crowd when he mentions that Not Going Out is coming back to the BBC after all, after initially being cancelled.

:)