WWII no longer a source of sitcoms?

After the likes of It Ain't Half Hot, Mum, Dad's Army and 'Allo 'Allo!, has all the steam been taken out of the second war as a source of sitcom settings?

Is it just getting to be too far back in the national imagination or are there other, as yet untapped areas to go for?

A mixture of all of the above.

There is Hut 33 on Radio 4 though.

Generally the style of comedy which best suits that relatively sensitive topic seems to be out of fashion though. Pity.

I think a combination of both.

Sitcom is meant to be identifiable to the audience and, although we all know about WW2, fewer people are around to identify with such a scenario. Also, those sitcoms were written by people who had some experience of WW2. Not many writers around of that age now who could bring some authenticity to the characters. (Blackadder as a period sitcom was an exception because it the main character was always basically representing a man out of place, with the historical perspective on events shared by the audience.)

It is too long ago now although 11 years (yes Aaron) before I was born it wasn't that far away as all our dads were involved.

This is the Second World War, right? You're not thinking about Nelson and Napoleon or something...?

;)

If anyone is thinking of writing more on WW2, then I'd think it would be better than starting a ww3 just to keep current. (Don't tell him Pike.)

Seriously though, (Although an odd word for a comedy site) (though)...
I was born 7 months to the day before WW2 started and so my only real insight to its comedic potential is shared with those born in the seventies and that's by watching Dad's Army etc.
Surely there could be mileage in other aspects?

The Royal Navy football team? etc?
Cheers, Chas.

My Grandad was in the Home Guard. My father told me a story once where he asked that if a German landed in the garden, would he shoot him. My Grandad replied: "No son, I'd invite him in for a cup of tea."

I guess he was joking. :)

My other Grandad was a fireman in WWII but his day job was transporting sugarbeet and so when it came to the one major fire that needed dealing with during the six years of the war, he missed it as he was out in the Fens with his lorry!

Quote: Tuumble @ July 10 2008, 11:59 AM BST

My Grandad was in the Home Guard. My father told me a story once where he asked that if a German landed in the garden, would he shoot him. My Grandad replied: "No son, I'd invite him in for a cup of tea."

I guess he was joking. :)

If he was English, then he was probably being serious. ;)

Welcome, What.

Tally ho etc.

I think in comedy terms WWII has had a pretty good run, I'd like to see some sitcoms about The Falklands War, or the current conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Quote: chipolata @ July 10 2008, 1:13 PM BST

I'd like to see some sitcoms about The Falklands War, ...

Oh, I thought the Falklands War was a sitcom... Or maybe I missed something.

With regard to Iraq: Has anyone seen War Inc. yet?

°Finck

I think you could create sitcoms set during WWII today. Here are a few ideas of the top of my head:

* Sitcom set in the desert during WWII. Something about the Desert Rats maybe?
* Sitcom set in a country which is neutral. It could feature characters who may be people who have fled Britain, Germany etc to avoid being recruited into the war.
* Sitcom set in Nazi Germany. One example is the American sitcom "Hogan's Heroes", set in a German POW camp.
* Fantasy sitcom in which the Germans won the war - a sort of parody of novels like "Fatherland", in the way that "'Allo 'Allo!" was a parody of "The Secret Army".

Lets not forget Goodnight Sweetheart.

I think something in the Falklands might be quite good but might seem a bit recent to some. Having said that, when DA started it was just 23 years after the war and it's already 26 for the Falklands.

I like the idea of involving sheep and Argentians but I bet won't happen as the authorities will be scared a new Malvinas conflict will kick-off.

What about the troubles in Northern Ireland? Giggleworthy? [takes coat from peg]

Quote: Tuumble @ July 10 2008, 4:16 PM BST

I think something in the Falklands might be quite good but might seem a bit recent to some. Having said that, when DA started it was just 23 years after the war and it's already 26 for the Falklands.

I like the idea of involving sheep and Argentians but I bet won't happen as the authorities will be scared a new Malvinas conflict will kick-off.

What about the troubles in Northern Ireland? Giggleworthy? [takes coat from peg]

The troubles have already been done, haven't they?

And on the subject of war, isn't there a BBC2 sitcom coming about a war correspondent?

Yes and yes.