Comedy Connections - Series 6 Page 7

And Universal Playback are the most useless, inept, feckless (insert many other such words here) DVD company to have ever operated. Anywhere. Ever.

The first two series have been re-released by 2 entertain, who are continuing with the show and this 3rd series DVD.

Ah -- that explains why just the first two got released. Cockbags.

Dan

Playback stopped releasing new things and took to re-releasing things already easily available (dinnerladies and Gimme Gimme Gimme spring to mind). They have improved a little recently, but not by any measurable amount. I am under the impression that BBC Worldwide were/are more than a little f**ked off with them.

Excellent episode, very fitting tribute. Hadn't realised myself just how much of an influence he'd had. Definitely will be missed.

I didn't know too much about Geoffrey Perkins, so this was an interesting watch.

Not to speak ill of the dead, but the guy seemed rather annoying and a lot of the tributes to him seemed to be through gritted teeth.

He was involved in, and responsible for as much of the shit stuff as the good stuff, in recent years. His key words as far as comedy was concerned, seemed to "Traditional" and "Conventional", so he's right up Aaron's street.

Anyway, RIP.

Quote: Eat My Shirts @ November 8 2008, 11:46 PM GMT

the guy seemed rather annoying and a lot of the tributes to him seemed to be through gritted teeth.

I don't think that we were watching the same programme. Errr

They all clearly really loved him!

They obviously just knew he wasn't the type who would have appreciated a simpering, overly sentimental tribute.
And thank god for that.

Words used to describe him were mostly along the lines of "enthusiastic" and "interested" and nothing much else. He seemed to be a David Brent type person, always keen on getting his own jokes in even if the only person who found them funny was himself. The Catherine Tate ‘Lauren' character was his creation.

Anyway, he seemed like a nice enough man, so I'll leave it there because I don't want to upset Griff.

Angus Deayton's intro seemed to make it pretty clear that he was greatly loved and a close friend to many, as well as the talented man the rest of the show concentrated on.

I thought it was an excellent tribute. The Comedy Connections format made perfect sense, and it really did shine through how much he was liked as well as admired.

To most people....

Quote: Eat My Shirts @ November 9 2008, 12:20 AM GMT

He seemed to be a David Brent type person, always keen on getting his own jokes in even if the only person who found them funny was himself. The Catherine Tate ‘Lauren' character was his creation.

Are you absolutely sure you watched it?

Quote: Eat My Shirts @ November 8 2008, 11:46 PM GMT

I didn't know too much about Geoffrey Perkins, so this was an interesting watch.

Not to speak ill of the dead, but the guy seemed rather annoying and a lot of the tributes to him seemed to be through gritted teeth.

He was involved in, and responsible for as much of the shit stuff as the good stuff, in recent years. His key words as far as comedy was concerned, seemed to "Traditional" and "Conventional", so he's right up Aaron's street.

Anyway, RIP.

Ah, ignorance is (indeed) bliss . . . yes Channel 4 would allow one of their shows to be shown in full on BBC 2 for an arsehole . . . I didn't see a tooth gritted by anyone (and it is getting a bit cold) . . .

Quote: Aaron @ November 8 2008, 10:33 PM GMT

Excellent episode, very fitting tribute. Hadn't realised myself just how much of an influence he'd had. Definitely will be missed.

Amen to that.

The only really negative comments were from Paul and Charlie in that they felt he would have prefered the irreverance to all of the glowing praise.
Recall the episode of Harry and Paul in the week following his death praising him to the heavens only to point out that he was "a bit of a shit actor" (and then to show how poor he was). . .

I'd agree there was something of a midly uncomfortable undercurrent, but then they were discussing a human being. Try as we might, none of us are perfect and to be fair the programme kind of highlighted this whilst discussing the Royle Family. I'm not its biggest fan but I'd definetly say that if Perkin's first choice for it had been followed the very distinct flavour of the show would have been lost.

Overall, it was quite informative. I've said before I had no idea just how involved Perkins was with many of my favourites (and suprisingly some duffers) so it was nice to get educated.

Are you sure you don't mean 'nice to be educated'? :)

I thought it seemed like he was a genuinely nice bloke, as Paul Whitehouse said at the end 'not like the other arseholes... like me' (or something to that effect). Obviously I didn't like everything he did (Catherine Tate being a shining example) but a lot of classics were there (Father Ted, The Fast Show, etc). It made me think that the comedy landscape might be quite different in future and all the worse for his absence...

Dan