DVD Bargains Page 31

Still a tad on the pricey side. Considering that I picked up the complete Friends set for sub-£40 the other week, I'd wait it out.

Thank you for doing the 'picture thing' with my post again.

Quote: The Rook @ November 26 2009, 8:15 PM GMT

Thank you for doing the 'picture thing' with my post again.

There is nothing altruistic in it believe me!

Rolling eyes

Just looked up the complete Roseanne and was, well, not impressed with how much it is now on HMV! More than shocking. Ridiculous.

Can anybody explain another thingthat's always puzzled me about HMV?

I've noticed alot of things are very strangely priced. For instance in store once I was looking at As Time Goes By. It was £7 for individual series. Then a whopping £70 for just either series 1-4 or series 5-9.

Another is Jonathan Creek. Series 1&2 is currently £39.99, 3&4 £44.99. But you can get them in a whole box set for £29.99 (£16.98 on Amazon).

Quite common. In-store prices are almost always stupid, although that £7 is positively bargainous in comparison to usual HMV prices. I assume that they reckon they're justified in the massive prices because the bigger sets use up more shelf space. Still quite bizarre though.

I only ever notice it in HMV and it's been like that for years. There could be 10 copies of a DVD that is £12.99 and then in the middle of them there will be one with 'Sale £8' or a lot that are in the sale and a couple still at full price.

My initial assumption is that it depends on how much they originally bought it in for, and how many they can allocate for the sale but I doorn't knoore.

In the case of the odd-priced item, I've found that there can be very subtle differences in the releases, or more often just idiocy on the staff's part, missing changing prices on one or two copies of something. I doubt that their purchase price has much effect on it - they whack it all up so much that a few things below cost makes little difference.

And (can you start a sentence with and? ah well) now with Woolworths, Zavvi, Music Zone all gone from the high street they can pretty much charge what they like knowing people (who never/ can't buy online) have no choice but to pay if they really want it.

Yep, pretty much the case. Most big supermarkets stock a fair range of DVDs now, but not the more obscure stuff that I'm interested in buying, for example.

(Although anyone who just blindly goes and buys on the high street without checking prices elsewhere deserves all they get, frankly.)

Very true :) although I did buy On The Up from HMV without checking it first. Then when I got home found that it was a bargain so I was happy.

They're doing some good deals on things Goodnight Sweetheart for £4.99 a series apart from series 1 £2.99(My 9yr old cousins Christmas present sorted) and The Brittas Empire is £3.99 a series.

How long on average would you say it takes for things to have a huge drop? I really want Roseanne, but there's no way in hell I'm ever paying £140.00 ish for it :)

Really depends on the release and how well it sells. I see Amazon have it for under £100 ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002JARDSG/comedyguide-21/ ), but give it 6 months at most and I guess you'll be able to find it for half that.

I might get it myself for my half birthday in August :)

Though hopefully by then I'll be too covered and rolling around in 2point4 Children DVDs to care much about anything else.

Funnily enough, I'm watching 2point4 Children right now. (And funny it is.)

But yeah, by August you should be able to get it fairly decently. Keep checking every few weeks and see if it pops up at a low price in the meantime.

Which episode? I'm addicted.

S02E02 at present.