Sitcoms that urgently need a DVD release Page 7

In Loving Memory

Was that the chat show thing? If so, it was bloody odd. And not really a sitcom as such?

Don't know if anybody already mentioned it, but I'd really like to see 'Snuffbox' released forth on the peripherals of a DVD :)

Quote: Aaron @ January 7, 2008, 10:58 AM

Was that the chat show thing? If so, it was bloody odd. And not really a sitcom as such?

No, Mrs Merton and Malcolm was a sitcom. The chat show (The Mrs Merton Show) will be released on DVD soon though.

I would love Fairly Secret Army to get a release at some point.

Quote: Decisions, decisions, decisions.. @ January 7, 2008, 11:28 AM

Don't know if anybody already mentioned it, but I'd really like to see 'Snuffbox' released forth on the peripherals of a DVD :)

Good Lord.

Quote: Nick @ January 7, 2008, 12:41 PM

No, Mrs Merton and Malcolm was a sitcom. The chat show (The Mrs Merton Show) will be released on DVD soon though.

I would love Fairly Secret Army to get a release at some point.

Ah ok. I don't remember the sitcom.

FSA feels a bit obscure for a release in the current climate, but you never know. Maybe it'll be out alongside Legacy.

In the last twelve months or so- some great DVD's have been released for sitcom collectors. Here's a list of sitcoms (in no order) that still haven't been released and I would like in my collection:
The Fosters
Don't Drink the Water
Romany Jones
Never Mind the Quality Feel the Width
Never the Twain
Home James
Sykes
Till Death us do Part
Till Death...
In Sickness and in Health
The Squirrels
Barbara
Beggar my Neighbour
The Crouches
First of the Summer Wine
The Fitz
Mrs Merton and Malcolm
The Nineteenth Hole
Pardon the Expression
Potter
Rosey
A Sharpe Intake of Breathe

So there you have it, quite a list. If anyone knows about a release of any of the above shows or would like to speak of what they think the chances are of the above shows being released, please say so (or type so)

I have a feeling that we'll be seeing the rest of Sykes, and what survives of Sykes And A, within the next year or two.

The Crouches I think is a bit of a big ask. Desmond's is only just seeing the light of day.

Mrs Merton and Malcolm I would expect to see within the year, as Network are about to release The Mrs Merton Show.

The three Garnetts I reckon will be out within the next few years too. In Sickness and In Health particularly is available on a not-entirely legitimate basis, so there's obviously apetite.

I think Home James! has a reasonable chance now that UTEARTC has started coming out. And The First of the Summer Wine I would expect, but when is another matter entirely.

As for the others, some I don't think it's worth getting your hopes p at any point soon for, and others I get the feeling may start dripping out as surprise releases - about a 50-50 split between the two scenarios for what's left, I reckon.

What I wouldn't do to get to explore the BBC and Thames (particularly) archives isn't worth mentioning...

I would say Never the Twain has a very strong chance of being released by Network. It's the kind of sitcom they release and there are many series, so a big money oppertunity for them. I've got a feeling Don't Drink the Water and The Fosters may also be released by Network. The reason for this is that Network like releasing stuff that had two series (Two in Clover, The Lovers), each of the two did. I also think DDTW will come out because the people on the On the Buses forum sent a petition to Network to try and get all of On the Buses released, which they did. They now have a petition for the spin off DDTW which I have signed. Also Network like to release spin offs:
Man about the House- George and Mildred- Robins Nest
Nearest and Dearest- Not on your Nellie.

Having said all that, DDTW might to an Army Game. All the surviving episodes released and an episode of the spin off 'Bootsie and Snudge' on the last DVD of the two parts. Bootsie and Snudge hasn't been relased. On the On the Buses DVD's the first episode of DDTW is on as an extra on the series 7 (the last series) DVD.

Hopefully though it will do a Nearest and Dearest (a show I don't particulary like). The spin off Not on your Nellie was an extra on the last DVD of the series and then Not on your Nellie was released by Network.

So as you can see I follow trends. I should be a detective.

I think you're over-analysing it a bit mate! They're just working their way through the Thames catalogue, and have tried a couple of other shows (notably Sykes) along the way.

Sent Network an email asking if they knew the chances of 'The Fosters' and 'Don't Drink the Water' of getting released. Think I'm over analysing? I feel like Sam Tyler and you Gene Hunt have just ripped my clever deduction to shreads.

Hello Jack Massey

I purchased 'Till Death Us Do Part', the complete 1972 and 1974 series, as a box set, just prior to Christmas.
I understand quite a few earlier episodes (and some later ones) were lost. Great shame.

I've got each of them, but they have been deleated.

Quote: WrongTale @ January 6, 2007, 10:23 PM

Surgical Spirit

*ducks*

Honestly, it was one of the Britcoms I saw back in... 1995 or so, and I've not seen it since.

I remember that! I agree I would quite like to see it again, it was quite funny

Series one is available on DVD now. It also pops up on ITV3 from time to time, so check TV listings.

See Amazon product listing [p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/3321233/Surgical-Spirit-The-Complete-First-Series/Product.html]

:)

In North America I think the most urgent ones that need releases are all things Mighty Boosh (all the series plus live shows), season 2 of the IT Crowd, Life on Mars (it's not comedy I know but COME ON it's the best British drama in years!), Green Wing (that's right we don't even have 1 series available to us).