Black Books Page 7

Just watching the first series again, and it strikes me what a risky scene it was when Fran is masturbating while on the phone to Peter Serafinowicz! They definitely wouldn't have got away with that scene if the character's genders had been reversed. Huh?

It is verrrrry rude!
They lull you into thinking it's the sort of show you can safely watch with your parents/small children and then, bam!

I don't remember them making it explicit that she's actually masturbating. I can't recall whether both hands are on show or not, but I got the impression they were suggesting she was getting off on the timbre of his voice alone.

Her hands are definitely well under the covers.

Quote: Raymond Terrific @ January 2 2013, 2:52 PM GMT

Her hands are definitely well under the covers.

How is she holding the phone?

It's a radio show isn't it?

Shipping forecast.

Quote: Lee @ January 2 2013, 3:11 PM GMT

It's a radio show isn't it?

Shipping forecast.

Oh, I seemed to remember them talking on the phone. Ignore me then, I'm obviously way off base.

#BussellFail

(If I do any more hashtags today can someone please punch me.)

Quote: zooo @ January 2 2013, 3:14 PM GMT

#BussellFail

(If I do any more hashtags today can someone please punch me.)

Except I just checked the episode and I'm completely right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z_3ZmWgMIA

Around 15:00

(about the phone bit I mean, as the original poster said, she is most definitely gusset typing)

I take back 50% of my hashtag.

At around 15:00 she has the phone off the hook and is listening to the radio.

P.S. We're geeks.

Quote: Lee @ January 2 2013, 3:49 PM GMT

At around 15:00 she has the phone off the hook and is listening to the radio.

P.S. We're geeks.

Maybe it happens later then (my connection is screwed up and struggling with YouTube) but she definitely gets him on the phone at some point because it cuts to him talking to her... on the phone.

P.S. King of the geeks.

Quote: David Bussell @ January 2 2013, 3:50 PM GMT

(my connection is screwed up and struggling with YouTube)

Sounds like someone else has the phone off the hook ;) Errr

You two need to dial it back a little!

On the one hand I think this thread has got quite nerdy and pedantic, on the other hand I don't think it's got nerdy and pedantic enough.

She is listening to the shipping forecast, with her hands under the covers, then the forecast ends so she phones him up. You don't see her hands at that point.

Been watching this on YouTube.

Why did Graham Lineham leave after series 1, I wonder? I think it lost some of the surreal vibes when he went.

Although in the main I like this show, I think some episodes are better than others. When it has a plot, like Bernard and Manny trying to teach a thug to read, trying to write a children's book, the piano episode etc, it can be very strong, but others - like about to go on holiday, Manny leaving home, everybody talking about the evening they've had with flashbacks, it all feels very thin. Also, the Fran sub-plots are pointless and detract from the main, better plot with Bernard and Manny. Like when she went on a hen night or got an office job and didn't know what to do.