Black Books

Does anyone know whether DM has definitely given the thumbs down to a further series?

Quote: Jolanta Zofia Nowak @ January 21, 2008, 10:13 PM

Does anyone know whether DM has definitely given the thumbs down to a further series?

Probably been given the boot.

Didn't he say that there were not going to be anymore made? I think it's possible he did.

Nope, not returning as far as I know :(

Its not returning, Im certain Moran already stated there would be no more; and it has been a few years off air now. I think its good in some ways that they stopped it while it was still strong; it would be nice to have had more, like with Spaced, but it does mean were left with only good stuff.

Series three was a touch rank though. Losing Linehan cost the show a lot.

Ive been watching the 1st episode again, and it's how do you put it, very wooden in a way and doesn't flow that well. Hmph.

After finishing the series I looked frantically around the net to find out any news as to whether the show would continue and I remember finding the disappointing news that it would not have another series.
This was a great show and I would love nothing more to see a few more episodes but I think that is unlikely.
I would also have to agree that the first episode (while still funny) is not the best. I have found that many British comedies require at least a few episodes of viewing to realize the full potential of the show. For example I didn't really like the first episode of "The IT Crowd" but stuck with it and now its one of my favorite shows.

S2 and s3 greatly missed Linehan's input. You could spot his contributions a mile off. I'll eat my hat if, for example, the subutio figure in Nick Frost's hair wasn't a Linehan joke.

Quote: Jolanta Zofia Nowak @ January 21, 2008, 10:13 PM

Danger Mouse?? :O

Quote: ian_w @ January 22, 2008, 3:42 PM

S2 and s3 greatly missed Linehan's input. You could spot his contributions a mile off. I'll eat my hat if, for example, the subutio figure in Nick Frost's hair wasn't a Linehan joke.

Danger Mouse?? :O

That and 'how many chips - forty?', the closed-closed sign, the reveal of Bernard talking to an old lady rather than Manny.

Hail Linehan!

Quote: Seefacts @ January 22, 2008, 5:38 PM

That and 'how many chips - forty?', the closed-closed sign, the reveal of Bernard talking to an old lady rather than Manny.

Hail Linehan!

And I think he may have been behind the coaster eating moment in 'Grapes of Wrath'...

All three season were wonderful.

If they made another season I'd totally watch it, but frankly everyone's moved on. I can't see it happeneing. And they have nice little package there...

I'm secretly hoping they stop making Peep Show just so I can make the one purchase. I mean, there's a season 1-3 box and now a 1-4 and they're working on 5... My Sharp box set taunts me endlessly with its additional Sharpe's Challange sitting next to it like a knife that won't fit in the draw... I can hear it laughing everytime I walk past. I may take that from Sharp but I'll not suffer it from a sitcom, damnit.

I love Black Books but, as others have said, it may be best for it to go out on a high.

As a big time Linehan fan I do think his input was missed in Series 2 and 3. How could Graham Linehan departing the writing staff make a show better? No way, but I thought the show stayed absolutely hilarious.

Linehan's blog for those interested:

whythatsdelightful.wordpress.com

Linehan is a comedy writing God in my eyes and I think the footbal player in Nick Frost's hair was his joke. It's mentioned in the commentary. However, I actually think that the second and third series were better than the first! I don't think it's because Linehan left as I think the show would have been even better if he'd stayed as he sees jokes other people don't, but nonetheless I still feel that the last two series were better than series 1.

I found this on my replay service and watched the first episode tonight.

I'd only watched odd bits before and hadn't really been impressed but I thought it was really good with a few real laugh out louds.