Black Books Page 3

Quote: jacparov @ May 19 2008, 7:24 PM BST

I'm still new to this one but there are some great lines.

MANNY: Do you think I should wash my beard?
BERNARD: Yes I do think you should was your beard, then shave it off, nail it to a frisbie and throw it over a rainbow.

Lol, I think I love Bernard Black!

Which episode is that from?

er...series 1 episode 5 I think?

I love Black Books, its brilliant. Interesting to read in an interview Linehan did for Mustard magazine about the reason he left after the first series. According to him, writing it had been a joy, then someones personality completely changed once the show entered production and it became a nightmare, so he left. He doesnt say whos personality changed, but reading between the lines my guess would be Dylan Morans; who else could he be referring to really? So, just an interesting little thing I read, I had wondered why hed jumped ship after only one year.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 19 2008, 8:22 PM BST

I love Black Books, its brilliant. Interesting to read in an interview Linehan did for Mustard magazine about the reason he left after the first series. According to him, writing it had been a joy, then someones personality completely changed once the show entered production and it became a nightmare, so he left. He doesnt say whos personality changed, but reading between the lines my guess would be Dylan Morans; who else could he be referring to really? So, just an interesting little thing I read, I had wondered why hed jumped ship after only one year.

Heh, maybe Moran was just getting into character for Bernard Black?

I'd hate to know that he's a dickhead in real life though... It could really be anyone though, from production staff to one of the other actors, but I haven't seen the interview so maybe it was inferred that it was moran.

Quote: Sal Paradise @ May 20 2008, 6:04 AM BST

I'd hate to know that he's a dickhead in real life though... It could really be anyone though, from production staff to one of the other actors, but I haven't seen the interview so maybe it was inferred that it was moran.

Id like to think it was someone else too; but who else could it be? Surely Linehan could have stepped in if one of the other actors or one of the production staff was behaving like a dickhead? Obviously if it was Moran, the co-writer and star of the show, there wouldnt have been anything Linehan could do. I still like to think that maybe it was someone else though.

Greig? She looks like a trouble-maker.

Having seen and heard Moran interviewed a few times he never struck me as particularly likeable, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was a pain to work with. And ironically I much preferred him in How Do You Want Me.

Quote: chipolata @ May 20 2008, 11:00 AM BST

How Do You Want Me.

Great show, Serofinowicz (or whatever) was really good in that as the psycho brother.

I also loved Frank Finlay in that show. And, unless I'm mistaken, wasn't Mark Heap in it as well?

Yeah, he was but I don't believe I've ever seen it.

I've just gone through the whole lot, since all the episodes are now on 4OD, and I'm blowed if I can detect any of this 'character changing' referred to by Linehan.

My impression, quite to the contrary, is that the characterisation remains pretty consistent throughout all 3 seasons, with an irascible Bernard, an amiable Manny and a slightly detached Fran.

IMHO the same can be said pretty much for the writing, despite changes of writer.

Maybe I'm missing something!

'Black Books' is a series killed off way before its time. When you consider how other sitcoms have been flogged to death, this one by comparison still had huge mileage in the tank when it stopped.

I can see no reason at all why it can't be resurrected. At a nonsensical 3 seasons, it comes preciously close to doing a 'Fawlty Towers' on us.

Quote: Jolanta Zofia Nowak @ May 20 2008, 5:26 PM BST

I've just gone through the whole lot, since all the episodes are now on 4OD, and I'm blowed if I can detect any of this 'character changing' referred to by Linehan.

I suspect he meant in real life.

Quote: garyd @ May 20 2008, 5:29 PM BST

I suspect he meant in real life.

Yes, i though that was quite clear? Rolling eyes Why would he leave because a character in the show changed? He wrote the show!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 20 2008, 5:32 PM BST

Yes, i though that was quite clear? Rolling eyes

Obviously not! :D

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 20 2008, 5:32 PM BST

Yes, i though that was quite clear? Rolling eyes Why would he leave because a character in the show changed? He wrote the show!

I'm just confused as to how people could inerpret it otherwise!