Doctor Who... Page 998

Quote: sootyj @ June 2 2013, 10:09 AM BST

People have mentioned Olivia Coleman, I think she'd be a very interesting option.

God no. She's already in about 65% of TV.

A couple of Who sites wade in:

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/12-actors-for-12th-doctor.html

http://www.kasterborous.com/2013/06/so-who-do-you-want-for-number-12/

How about a CGI Les Dawson.

I could tell when my cyber mother inlaw was visiting.

All the cybermats deleted themselves

Quote: Pingl @ June 2 2013, 7:39 AM BST

Maybe they are going to stick with John Hurt, that would be different

Thereby, in a single stoke, giving the show the gravitas of "Merlin"...

John Hurt is f**king awesome.

And he's brilliant, respected and at his age I doubt he's much bothered if he pisses off anybody.

I'd like to see someone try and get him to say

"time wimey" "I love a little shop"

He'd thump 'em

I agree - I was being cheeky really.
He is undoubtedly a brilliant actor - but I think it would take more than wheeling him in to get Who's mojo back.

I think it needs a dedicated script editor willing to draw a line under everything.

Season 1 with Ecclestone bounced back from a lousy previous series, season one of STNG was famously terrible.

So it can be done.

Quote: sootyj @ June 2 2013, 11:08 AM BST

Season 1 with Ecclestone bounced back from a lousy previous series,

Which was the previous series? Do you mean the last McCoy one in 1989?

Yes the one.

Too be fair it may have been popular with some fans and it may have had some critical appreciation.

In terms of popularity outside of its fan base or generating foreign sales or being in anyway a lead program for the BBC.

It wasn't a success in the way that Ecclestone and Tenant Who was.

I mean it came from being off air for years and leaving as a bit of a joke (if only in how the execs etc treated and spoke about it).

To being the flagship scifi show on the BBC, right up until Sherlock.

Quote: sootyj @ June 2 2013, 11:21 AM BST

Yes the one.

Too be fair it may have been popular with some fans and it may have had some critical appreciation.

In terms of popularity outside of its fan base or generating foreign sales or being in anyway a lead program for the BBC.

It wasn't a success in the way that Ecclestone and Tenant Who was.

I mean it came from being off air for years and leaving as a bit of a joke (if only in how the execs etc treated and spoke about it).

To being the flagship scifi show on the BBC, right up until Sherlock.

Well, it was quite a different show back then, (MIS)handled very differently with different expectations, that had been on for thirty years. (I am one of those fans that LOVES that season. Has three of my favourite Who stories in it)
The long break took it from a kicked about joke, to something older people were nostalgic for, and newer viewers could come to fresh.

I always felt Old Who suffered from parsimony more than anything else.

So a story had to be dragged out so long to save on new sets, costumes etc.

The result being Fenric should have been a punchy 3-4 episode actioner with zombies, russians marines and enigma. Instead I remember watching it and by hour 2 thinking is this still going on?

Quote: sootyj @ June 2 2013, 11:34 AM BST

I always felt Old Who suffered from parsimony more than anything else.

So a story had to be dragged out so long to save on new sets, costumes etc.

The result being Fenric should have been a punchy 3-4 episode actioner with zombies, russians marines and enigma. Instead I remember watching it and by hour 2 thinking is this still going on?

Oh, I loved Fenric. And Ghost Light from that season is a punchy three eps. Better than in the 60s and 70s when some stories could drag on for six or seven whole episodes!

Stephen Mangan has thrown his hat into the mix, he's be brilliant. I was joking about Hurt, he'd never do it full time, although I for one would love it if he did. Just remember the favourite never gets it, with the possible exception of Tennant, its normally someone we haven't heard of. And of course there is always Patterson Joseph

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 1 2013, 11:39 PM BST

Hmmm, yeah, doubt it; he's got his big American show already, which he's still currently part of.

He's been doing a bit of radio acting on R4 lately and isn't exclusive to Homeland, although I understand he's contracted for another three shark jumping series.

Hugh Laurie is back though.

I suspect they will go for a rising star like Smith or Tennant. Probably some 20/30 something who is currently in Game of Thrones.

Would be great to see Hurt hold the fort for a few episodes.

Has Moffat hinted he's going? Whats Dennis Kelly doing?

Moffat definitely staying for transition at least, which may or may not be a good thing

Split Dcotor Who, have a cartoon series for pre teens, and then make the main show a bit more involved.