Doctor Who... Page 1,028

Your Whovian advice please. I will be watching the 50th anniversary special, but I'm slightly worried that I won't have a clue what is going on because I didn't watch the last series (and Moffat is a bit like that). Can anyone suggest whether there are any essential episodes I need to watch from the last series before I see the special? No spoilers please. Ta!

The Name of The Doctor maybe

Dcotor Maybe

Is that his passive agressive cousin

Has anyone tried to play the Google game today? I failed at it. Haven't really been into the last series and a bit of Dr Who but I still plan on waking up at 6am Sunday morning to watch the special.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 22nd November 2013, 12:37 AM GMT

The Elephant Man one

Laughing out loud

Quote: zooo @ 22nd November 2013, 12:19 AM GMT

On the extra mini episode, which I'm assuming everyone has now seen, so this won't be a spoiler... when McGann changes into John Hurt, does he change into a young John Hurt?

Somebody elsewhere thinks they've used a snatch of Hurt footage from The Ghoul.

Ooh. It just made me think of him in Alien/s. But probably because that's one of the only older things I've seen him in.

You need to see Mr Forbush and the Penguins....

Watched a few Doctor Who episodes over the last couple of days while everyone's in the mood.
Hartnell The Aztecs
Troughton The Mind Robber
Pertwee The Three Doctors
Baker (T) The Ribos Operation
McKoy Battlefield
Eccleston The Parting of the Ways
Tennant The Christmas Invasion/ Silence in the Library
Smith The Wedding of River Song

Next up, Davison - The Visitation

Not sure I've got any Colin Baker episodes to hand
Although I wouldn't mind seeing the Trial of a Timelord if I can find it.

You have to watch the McGann film, if you're doing everyone else!

I did that fairly recently
Can't put myself through that again!
I watched the recent minisode, that'll do

*nods sagely*
That will suffice.

Quote: Badge @ 22nd November 2013, 1:25 PM GMT

Your Whovian advice please. I will be watching the 50th anniversary special, but I'm slightly worried that I won't have a clue what is going on because I didn't watch the last series (and Moffat is a bit like that). Can anyone suggest whether there are any essential episodes I need to watch from the last series before I see the special? No spoilers please. Ta!

Just read the final chapter of Alan Kistler's great book Doctor Who, Celebrating 50 Years, A History, where he neatly explains how Moffat has f**ked up a fairly simple premise by trying to be a smart-arse.

Quote: Kenneth @ 23rd November 2013, 4:16 PM GMT

Just read the final chapter of Alan Kistler's great book Doctor Who, Celebrating 50 Years, A History, where he neatly explains how Moffat has f**ked up a fairly simple premise by trying to be a smart-arse.

Not really going to help get up to speed for the special though, I dare say. I'd advise watching the Name Of The Doctor. Or just the Paul McGann minisode.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 23rd November 2013, 4:25 PM GMT

Not really going to help get up to speed for the special though, I dare say. I'd advise watching the Name Of The Doctor. Or just the Paul McGann minisode.

Have you read the book? It's fully up-to-date, including a precis of The Name of the Doctor. Includes the John Hurt stuff and Capaldi being cast as the next Doctor, and McGann talking it all up and his readiness to stay involved. You'd enjoy the book, though perhaps there's not too much that's new, I dare say.