Harry Hill's TV Burp! Page 21

Quote: Tim Azure @ October 11 2010, 2:21 PM BST

I believe he did practise as a Doctor for a number of years. Whether he became any good...

Trained at the same place I did, St George's Hospital Medical School, Tooting (though he was a few years above me). Matthew started doing the Harry character (but with a little more hair) back when he was in the medical school revues. Somewhere(?), someone must have a couple of video tapes of his early med school performances (our revues were filmed every year). He worked for a few years after qualifying - in the end mainly locums to financially supplement his stand-up career - but never worked long enough to become truly experienced/senior as a doctor. Before he made it really big, he would occasionally turn up to watch the comedy nights organised in the med school bar. (Often with the little red-haired chap who used to play his son - also a doctor in real life.)

Don't think it's worth the tizz this journo is making of it but it's a big comedy misstep I think...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2010/oct/20/harry-hill-i-want-a-baby

Hill does have a history of putting out "product", like his book about The Further Adventures of the Queen Mother.

Quote: David Bussell @ October 20 2010, 2:19 PM BST

Don't think it's worth the tizz this journo is making of it but it's a big comedy misstep I think...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2010/oct/20/harry-hill-i-want-a-baby

Well if The Guardian and Twitter are getting their knickers-in-a-twist about it, it can't be all bad...

Quote: David Bussell @ October 20 2010, 2:19 PM BST

Extremely odd, him having a go at a portion of his fan base. Don't know what he was thinking. The Guardian is right for once. :O

Tony Gubba was mentioned as a special guest.
I must have missed that one.

EDIT:
Oh yeah it must have been the Sick race commentary.

It's not a favourite, but I agree the single is a return to his style pre-high profile via TV Burp. It's a silly song for the sake of putting out a silly song, especially at this time of year when such songs are expected (Mr Blobby and the Teletubbies ring a bell?). I really doubt he created this expecting it to become a comedy classic or a true hit. If anything, I'm annoyed the intended targets will miss the point and adopt it as an anthem.

It was surprisingly crude for him.

But then he's so meta he may have been mocking the whole concept of novelty Xmas records from the 80s.

We love humpty dumpty's show

Enjoyable, as ever, but nothing that really leapt out. Story of the series so far.

Quote: David Bussell @ October 20 2010, 1:19 PM GMT

Oh well. It's only the f**king Guardian, What do you expect from those holier-than-thou patronising PCers.

Who really gives a toss what they think? In fact without even watching it I'd like to congratulate Mr Hill wholeheartedly for upsetting them.

"...who looks slightly different because the actor who normally plays him is on holiday!" :D

After last week, I got the impression the whole 'Wagbo' thing was being forced on them by ITV execs. Glad to see they're willing to poke fun at themselves with it.

It's an odd choice, but it's no more controversial than any other chav-based mockery. Unfunny, of course.

Quote: Chappers @ November 6 2010, 9:12 PM GMT

In fact without even watching it I'd like to congratulate Mr Hill wholeheartedly for upsetting them.

Ironically the song condemns people who pass judgement on stuff without even watching it.

Liked the end of the Wagbo plot, mainly for how by the end everyone involved was breaking character and criticising it as not being one of their better ideas. The whole fact that you never know when the show is going to follow formula or just smack you with reality keeps you on your toes.

The Wallace & Gromit jokes were a bit harsh/lazy, though. I did laugh at the one making fun of the intro, but the 'farting cheese' seemed to be way too obvious and immature. Likewise with the 'farting the anthem' bit. Especially disappointing because I've finally watched Hill's internet show, where the majority of comments left read 'dis iz stopid...stik to TV Burp!'. I enjoy the show (TV Burp), but sometimes it does go for the lowest humour possible. Sad that the majority apparently prefer that to Hill's more unpredictable trademark style.

The new single is excellent.

The Grauniad (God bless it) says the song pokes fun at working class culture but it doesn't: it pokes fun at scumbags who see a baby as nothing more than a must-have fashion accessory equivalent in value to a half-decent mobile phone.

Let's hope it makes Number One. :P