Blackadder Page 8

I'll be very interested to see whose theories above change after you've seen the pilot next month!

Why would they change?

This is the BCG, we never change our opinions on anything. We've elevated obstinate to an art form.

Hmm sounds like he's been given one of those exclusive preview freebies he wangles and seen it before the hoi polloy. I was wondering first why it was lost, surely they weren't still wiping in1982? and then why it wasn't shown as Ep 1 as they often are, seeing it was good enough to spawn what became a classic sitcom.

But then reading the link it seems there was at least a one member cast change come the series broadcast which explains that, although I won't spoil it and say who it is for those who have Gold and will be watching. I might even look at getting it back myself on some sort of combo deal they do now.

Life's too short.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 18th May 2023, 7:47 AM

Hmm sounds like he's been given one of those exclusive preview freebies he wangles and seen it before the hoi polloy.

Nothing as fancy as that: I've just had a copy for about 20 years! :-)

Re 'lost', some companies still wipe stuff to this day. Significant chunks of programming, if not ephemera like continuity announcements, were certainly being wiped well, well into the 1990s though. 'Lost' in this case was simply lazy journo shorthand for 'forgotten and unseen by the public'.

(And loads and loads and loads of pilots have always been produced but never aired. The likes of Comedy Playhouse sometimes create a false belief otherwise, but they were the exception in being for-broadcast.)

Yes I'd say it was the labelling of Comedy Playhouse type anthologies as pilots that makes viewers think they are all pristine made for TV affairs. Having said that, there's a few I've watched on You tube that weren't aired and looked great, like the Love Thy Neighbour pilot, definitely broadcast quality. They changed the actor of Eddie Booth's wife for the series run but I thought it looked better in the pilot! (I believe they thought they needed to dumb her down, as bigot Eddie shouldn't be associated with an attractive or half intelligent woman. Something I've often found to be contrary to real life.)

Dug out the third series. Almost total and utter f**king shit.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 21st May 2023, 6:15 PM

Dug out the third series. Almost total and utter f**king shit.

Balls

It's the best

Hugh Laurie is superb

The Doctor Johnson episode is not only the best Blackadder episode - it's one of the best episodes of any sitcom, ever

So in the words of The Duke of Wellington "BAAHHHHHHHHHHH"

I like the one where they blackmailed the Bishop of Bath and Wells by getting an artist to paint the scene as proof.

The third series is my favourite, too.

I beg to differ. This is English for You Are Wrong.

You've got a hat, Monkhouse, and you're talking out of it. Series 3 of Blackadder is superb.

Quote: chipolata @ 24th May 2023, 10:24 AM

You've got a hat, Monkhouse, and you're talking out of it. Series 3 of Blackadder is superb.

I thought it was his arse

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 24th May 2023, 10:37 AM

I thought it was his arse

I like to keep things civil, even in the face of Monkhouse's complete and utter nonsense.