Blackadder Page 10

Nah, he even looked good in colour. Also that black outfit he wore had quite a cool BDSM vibe, like Pinhead's in Hellraiser.

Just seen an advert for the pilot to be shown on Gold on Thursday 15th June.

So, what did people make of Blackadder - The Lost Pilot? Maybe it'll get its own thread, in which case I'll copy/paste my thoughts on there...

(VAGUE SPOILERS AHEAD)

The sort-of-documentary bit at the beginning repeatedly suggests that it's an accepted fact that the first series was vastly inferior to the later ones, so those of you who actually prefer the first series to the later ones may find it quite frustrating viewing! Good that the talking heads seemed to be genuine fans of Blackadder, like David Mitchell (I haven't actually watched any of the Upstart Crow series) whereas sometimes in those sort of things they seem to get celebs in talk about things you're not sure if they really care about.

I quite liked it overall. The pilot episode itself was worth watching, not sure if I'd want to see it again necessarily, but had its moments with a surprisingly decent sword fight scene near the end...

Quote: a plate @ 16th June 2023, 1:50 AM

So, what did people make of Blackadder - The Lost Pilot? .

Dunno, haven't got Gold - so why wasn't it on the Beeb, that's what I want to know. 👿

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 16th June 2023, 8:49 AM

Dunno, haven't got Gold - so why wasn't it on the Beeb, that's what I want to know. 👿

Because the BBC didn't commission it.

I really enjoyed it. Some great insights into the various changes and the decision-making process between development and Series 2.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the claim that John Howard Davies told them period sitcoms never work. In 1981/2, presumably. Just a few years after the end of the notoriously unsuccessful Dad's Army; at the time of the end of the equally unpopular It Ain't Half Hot Mum; whilst 'Allo 'Allo! was not being commissioned for the same reason; and after the unmitigated failures of Up Pompeii! et al. 🤔

Quote: Aaron @ 16th June 2023, 10:08 AM

Because the BBC didn't commission it.

Then they effin' should have done 😠

I really enjoyed it. Some great insights into the various changes and the decision-making process between development and Series 2.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the claim that John Howard Davies told them period sitcoms never work. In 1981/2, presumably. Just a few years after the end of the notoriously unsuccessful Dad's Army; at the time of the end of the equally unpopular It Ain't Half Hot Mum; whilst 'Allo 'Allo! was not being commissioned for the same reason; and after the unmitigated failures of Up Pompeii! et al. 🤔

"Please sir, I want some more"

Me and the other half watched it last week after the show had been sitting on our recording stack for ages. I enjoyed it but like a PP correctly stated, it's frustrating to hear comedy folk denigrate the original Black Adder series as I absolutely loved it and recall first seeing it years after it was first broadcast on VHS (yes, I am middle-aged!) It's cleverer in many ways than the sequels and being shot on film was incredibly cinematic as well as being ruinously expensive.

Sir Tonyus was a great presenter and as a comedy fan I was racking my brain to recognise where I'd seen the alternative Baldrick and a trip to IMdB confirmed that he was the estate agent showing Alan around the executive home with a 'Buck Rogers' toilet in the first episode of I'm Alan Partridge.

"One yank, gone!"

🤣

Quote: lofthouse @ 12th August 2023, 7:04 PM

"One yank, gone!"

🤣

Classic Partridge!

I did enjoy the documentary, although some of the contributors/talking heads were a bit random - Rachel Parris?