Blackadder Page 5

I find series 4 to be a bit too formulaic. The show really was running out of steam and some of the jokes fall flat.

Quote: Badhead @ August 2 2010, 7:19 PM BST

I find series 4 to be a bit too formulaic. The show really was running out of steam and some of the jokes fall flat.

No, no, no, Badhead. You can't say it was running out of steam. There had only really been two series before that. Ok, General Hospital had nearly the same plot as Amy and Amiability, but what of it? How can say that of series which Baldrick doing an impression of Charlie Chaplin armed only with a dead slug?

Quote: Tim Azure @ August 2 2010, 7:32 PM BST

No, no, no, Badhead. You can't say it was running out of steam. There had only really been two series before that. Ok, General Hospital had nearly the same plot as Amy and Amiability, but what of it? How can say that of series which Baldrick doing an impression of Charlie Chaplin armed only with a dead slug?

The jokes became a bit repetitive. too much analogy type jokes. Sometimes they just milked it. Like they where trying too hard. "I would never do that even if I was"

I think series 3 built on series 2. But series 4 was a step back. I still like it though.

To me series four far outshone the others because it addressed real issues of injustice and accentuated the absolute futility of war. To do that and make the best last scene of any comedy series alone in my opinion makes it just not good, but great.

Just watching the documentary that was on earlier tonight.
I hope they have a lot more of Rowan Atkinson talking, as you don't get to hear much from him in interviews

I'm pleased that Blackadder Goes Forth was the last series. I don't think it could have ended any better.

But I did like the suggestion on the documentary that, if there had been a 5th series, it could have been in a WWII P.O.W camp. It might have been too similar to the 4th series, but the idea of it amuses me nonetheless.

I always felt the fourth series was becoming a bit laboured and, as others have said, that the characters and dialogue were relying too much on previous series for their inspiration. One of the rare examples of a sitcom that stopped just in time. Doesn't stop me wishing that they had all managed a few more series though!

IMO Blackadder II was easily the best of the bunch, as near to perfection as sitcom can get. Although heavily criticised, I still find much in the 1st enjoyable, but it was a completely different show. The 3rd and 4th series were excellent, but to some extent suffer from being increasingly derivative, with the 4th series being the most reliant on employing the comedy "rules" of Blackadder (the "as something as a something" gags, the over-dependence on jokes about Baldrick's stupidty etc...).

Series 2 was both the most original and the funniest of the series, with every episode a minor masterclass.

The review here says : "Our Review: It's difficult to underestimate the influence of Blackadder;"

Difficult to underestimate? If it was easy to underestimate, that would mean Blackadder has been highly influential. So they're actually saying that it hasn't been.

I saw the fourth series first (due to my age). And I still think it's the best one. But don't you think that which one you see first has a strong bearing on your choice?

.....I mean I still think Return of the Jedi is the best one.

Quote: bigfella @ February 14 2011, 1:03 PM GMT

I saw the four series first (due to my age). And I still think it's the best one. But don't you think that, which one you see first has a strong bearing on your choice? .....I mean I still think Return of the Jedi is the best one.

Jedi does have a hot woman in a metal bikini on a leash.

Quote: Nogget @ February 14 2011, 12:35 PM GMT

The review here says : "Our Review: It's difficult to underestimate the influence of Blackadder;"

Difficult to underestimate? If it was easy to underestimate, that would mean Blackadder has been highly influential. So they're actually saying that it hasn't been.

:$ No prizes for guessing the kind of time of day night that was written at...

Does anyone know if Wills and Kate are fans of Blackadder? I was just wondering if it might have been on in the background when they were naming Prince George.

Nogget, go and create an underestimate of Blackadder.

Just watching Black Adder The Third on BBC Two.

Does anyone know who voiced The Shadow? It sounded familiar.