Blackadder Page 7

I had to have something on very, very late last night when trying in vain to get a supermarket slot. Tuning rapidly across channels through dross, I settled on a re-run of Blackadder. And I have to say that everything in that episode came across in comparison with current daily living as totally normal. That's even the maddest bits. It was a most weird experience .

Incredible to think this is 40 years old next month. Although if it wasn't for series 2 to 4, it wouldn't be remembered now.

Quote: chipolata @ 13th May 2023, 4:06 PM

Incredible to think this is 40 years old next month. Although if it wasn't for series 2 to 4, it wouldn't be remembered now.

I don't think so, for who can forget Brian Blessed.

...at his booming best. It's wrong to dismiss the original Blackadder just because the reboot turned it into a neater self contained format/formulaic studio sitcom heavily reliant on catchphrases and Eltonic sixth form humour. It doesn't mean the first series was poor, as is often lazily inferred, it was excellent in what it was, just a different thing, more filmic and without the vision of what it was to become. The fact that Blackadder himself transformed into a far more advanced character for S2 onwards is the fault of Atkinson and Curtis not envisioning that from the off.

Apart from that crucial central character change and the snappier formula with Elton pairing Curtis for the scripts, the original holds up extremely well with the rest imo, and not just imo. Eps 4 & 5 are as good as anything in the later series. And it can be said that Curtis returned to Atkinson's earlier model and developed it into Mr Bean not long after S4 ended, so it was more a case of using the wrong Atkinson persona in the original.

I have a certain fondness for the first series but it's a curate's egg. Without the latter series it would be almost completely forgotten now (except by anoraks like us on comedy forums). It'll be interesting to see if any of the upcoming Royal Mail commemorative stamps feature images from that first series.

Totally in the minority but I prefer the first series by a c**ty mile. It's a tad flabbier and less focused, but Dickhead Atkinson is far funnier than the smug, snide, selfish character of the other series, and anyone who still quotes Blackadder forfeits the right to live.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 21st May 2019, 11:14 PM

Elton's style of repeating patterns of material like little cyclical templates was excruciating by episode 6... and the ping pong of Eltonian insults on the other set were truly tedious by the end.

Will you marry me? I'm giving up on Mel C ever plucking up the courage to propose.

I'll think about it Michael. Give me 50 years. We're not the only fans of The Black Adder (what became S1) on here and its reputation has been somewhat blighted by the scripting by dots confection that came after, as good as some eps were.

That's okay. I understand. It's taking Mel C fifty years too. People, even Spice Ladies, rarely approach me as they are intimidated by my George Clooney charm, Oscar Wilde wit and Rocco Siffredi tackle. I can wait.
Surprisingly, there are hardly any HQ Blackadder eps on BoobTube. I remember the first series as it was just after Not The Nine O'Clock News: Atkinson did Blackadder, Smith and Jones became a double act, and Pamela Stephenson started bonking Billy Connoly. The other crap ep for me was the Witch one. When the second series came out, the new characterisation took a bit of getting used to, but is of course recognised as the standard now. Shame.
I read, 'One Direction - High Quality.' I thought, No they're not.

Quote: chipolata @ 14th May 2023, 9:32 AM

It'll be interesting to see if any of the upcoming Royal Mail commemorative stamps feature images from that first series.

Yes..................

An essential purchase.

Quote: chipolata @ 14th May 2023, 9:32 AM

I have a certain fondness for the first series but it's a curate's egg. Without the latter series it would be almost completely forgotten now (except by anoraks like us on comedy forums). It'll be interesting to see if any of the upcoming Royal Mail commemorative stamps feature images from that first series.

I agree really. For me, Blackadder II was the real high point.

Well I see it as the opposite of that, as I'm apt to doing, I think it HAS been forgotten by all bar the anoraks because of the success of the reboot from S2 on. I think it would be remembered far more had it ended there, and it's always appeared to be appreciated more by those who viewed it when it first aired and remember the impact it made.

It's long been hidden behind all the attention its more quotable successors get, and I've barely seen it repeated while the other three series have had many reruns. It hardly gets a mention on general social media when the subject of Blackadder is brought up and overquoted like Python once was, as though it's officially not part of 'the franchise' when in truth it's the Daddy.

I loved the original Blackadder, I seem to remember at a young (ish) age shedding a tear when he stupidly poisoned himself in the finale
And when it came back for series 2 I was a bit Jarred at first by the Ben Elton quickfire gagfest it had seem to have become
But of course in hindsight the later series were better not just for Tom Bakers appearance, but also the less weaselly Blackadder worked better as a character

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 15th May 2023, 2:38 AM

And when it came back for series 2 I was a bit Jarred at first by the Ben Elton quickfire gagfest it had seem to have become

Yes same here, but it jarred me all the way through. It was funny and sitcommy and very good yes but also looked far too slick and pleased with itself, like a personification of new co-writer Elton. It was clear he was running the dialogue part. What it wasn't was the old rumbustious picaresque adventure of TBA. Like Michael said, it's hard to warm to such a sly and sure of himself 'hero' which is why many rooted for Baldrick.

I was wanting more of the same medieval era tbh as there was loads they hadn't done, the signing of the Magna Carta, references to Robin Hood, the 'murders' of several kings, Chaucer, Dick Whittington, (the black death, the peasants revolt? can't remember if done or not) the 'vainest king in history'(R2nd), Henry VIII & his wives, Thomas More, the Reformation, Bloody Mary - there was at least another series there before it reached QE1.

I like rooting.
I guess I could argue that the second series is technically the 'best', but the first pips it for actual laughs. Or I could shut the f**k up. This is the most I have ever said about Blackadder. It is disrespectful to Melanie C.
It all links. Very Zen. https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2021/01/12/sir-tony-robinson-on-why-the-blackadder-cast-was-like-the-spice-girls-13889380/amp/