Have I Got News For You - Series 64 Page 2

The most hypocritical thing of that Daily Mail fake outrage is that Paul Dacre is infamous for calling his journalists c**ts - indeed, his insults are referred to as "double c**tings" or "triple c**tings" etc, depending on the number of times the word is used.

Quote: beaky @ 8th September 2022, 12:51 PM

The most hypocritical thing of that Daily Mail fake outrage is that Paul Dacre is infamous for calling his journalists c**ts - indeed, his insults are referred to as "double c**tings" or "triple c**tings" etc, depending on the number of times the word is used.

I don't want you to think I'm defending the Mail, but there's a big difference between conversations that happen in private, and things that are said in public - and not just said, but broadcast. This is how laws around the likes of libel operate.

Quote: Lazzard @ 8th September 2022, 10:03 AM

Stewart Lee couldn't stop saying it the other night on the Beeb!

He is so clever! (Sarcasm!)

Did you not enjoy it?

Quote: Lazzard @ 8th September 2022, 6:32 PM

Did you not enjoy it?

No. I don't like him. Such a smart arse.

Understandably, tonight's edition has been axed. I've read (over on TV Talk Forum) the recording was stood down an hour before it was scheduled to start. In any case, BBC One's Friday schedule is now news from cover to cover.

For now, next week's edition is still stated to go ahead on the show's BBC webpage. Who knows whether that'll happen. I'd say tonight's Last Leg is also in danger too.

Quote: octothorpe @ 9th September 2022, 2:07 AM

Understandably, tonight's edition has been axed. I've read (over on TV Talk Forum) the recording was stood down an hour before it was scheduled to start. In any case, BBC One's Friday schedule is now news from cover to cover.

For now, next week's edition is still stated to go ahead on the show's BBC webpage. Who knows whether that'll happen. I'd say tonight's Last Leg is also in danger too.

I find that really bizarre. Censoring satire and comedy shouldn't be happening in 2022.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 9th September 2022, 8:54 AM

I find that really bizarre. Censoring satire and comedy shouldn't be happening in 2022.

I don't think it's censoring. Just giving it a rest for a while.

Quote: Chappers @ 9th September 2022, 10:27 AM

I agree

Quote: Chappers @ 9th September 2022, 10:27 AM

Cancelling a scheduled recording of a news based satire show because they don't want them to talk about the news seems like censoring to me.

They have a (fairly) long-held policy of cancelling comedy of all kinds - levity in general, in fact
This from 2015..

https://longreads.com/2015/03/10/all-comedy-will-be-canceled-until-after-the-funeral/

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 9th September 2022, 12:43 PM

Cancelling a scheduled recording of a news based satire show because they don't want them to talk about the news seems like censoring to me.

It's not not talking about the news. I am certain it will be addressed on the next episode of the show. It's simply deciding that now is not quite the right time. By the same criteria, having moved the series earlier in the year away from the men's football world cup, do you think they're censoring talking about sport?

Talking of football, Chelsea's match against Fulham is cancelled.
Odd - I would have thought our current performance and tribulations would be very fitting for period of mourning.

I know next week's episode is still in the schedules but I imagine we won't be seeing HIGNFY until after the funeral, maybe even after the additional "period of mourning" continuing days after the funeral.

Away from HIGNFY, I did see on Twitter Adam Hills has said they're doing Last Leg next week, a tribute.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 9th September 2022, 12:43 PM

Not really censorship. I doubt anyone would have wanted to do a show this week anyway. Would have been awkward and uncomfortable.

Quote: Chappers @ 8th September 2022, 5:44 PM

He is so clever! (Sarcasm!)

So he's not very clever? Hence your sarcasm. But he's also much too clever? As in "such a smart arse?"