Funny cartoons Page 7

That's dedication for you!

Quote: beaky @ 17th February 2022, 9:22 AM

Presumably the husband has bought some naughty postcards. Beautifully drawn by Giles as you'd expect, but probably decades out of touch even then.

I thought with the tough security at airports today, this would still be relevant.

And why is there a bloke with an old-fashioned musket in the background?

There's also a paper airplane in there. It's Giles's style, there's always more going on than the main joke. For me that's his main appeal, the where's Wally type of affair.

I knew Carl Giles quite well, actually, as he had his office in the town centre, not far from my photographic shop, and would occasionally pop in for advice or to buy some equipment. I have his card, with signature on the back somewhere, which I'll post if I ever find it!

Very nice man, who had a lovely house in Witnesham, just north of Ipswich and his local was the Barley Mow, but as you went round on a pub crawl in Suffolk, you would always knew if Giles had been in, as he gave the landlord a cartoon, usually apt for that pub/man.

The one thing that always gnawed at me, was that he had a load of early video recording equipment ( reel to reel etc.) and I often think he must have had some brilliant tapes of early TV broadcasts a la the Monkhouse archive.

As I say, a lovely man.

Quote: Lazzard @ 17th February 2022, 9:12 AM

I've been thinking about this for an hour, and I still don't get it.
What am I missing?

Definitely not clear. It's not even clear that the person in a fur coat is a woman and why is "she" being frisked?

Sorry Herc.

Quote: Firkin @ 17th February 2022, 4:20 PM

There's also a paper airplane in there.

The paper plane makes sense and is a good gag.
The blunderbuss though...?
And is the (?)woman hiding the (?)dirty postcards?
PLUS they're in London - about to get on board to travel somewhere - why the search and where did they get the cards?
The whole reason people bought dirty postcards back was because you couldn't get them in London.
I can only presume there was a specific news story that none of us know about - otherwise it makes very little sense.
And I, too, was a big fan of Giles

Quote: Lazzard @ 18th February 2022, 8:53 AM

The paper plane makes sense and is a good gag.
The blunderbuss though...?
And is the (?)woman hiding the (?)dirty postcards?
PLUS they're in London - about to get on board to travel somewhere - why the search and where did they get the cards?
The whole reason people bought dirty postcards back was because you couldn't get them in London.
I can only presume there was a specific news story that none of us know about - otherwise it makes very little sense.
And I, too, was a big fan of Giles

I bet he didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition...

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 18th February 2022, 11:41 AM

It's too windy to go out - so I'm stuck indoors picking holes in 50 year old cartoons.
I think I need to get a life.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 18th February 2022, 11:41 AM

Nobody expects a Spanish inquisition!

Took a while. very good.

Good joke, but for some reason I never liked Langdon's drawing style.