Funny cartoons Page 11

Quote: Firkin @ 13th March 2022, 9:30 PM

Fair enough, I've added "and sketch shows".

Chappers sits there every night in his attic room with pen and paper to note down the slightest discrepancy/spelling error etc. on BCG, so you get used to him pulling you up on the slightest pretext.

It keeps him happy bless, as he hasn't many friends and it gives him a reason to get up in the morning.

Usually topical - the Miss World Competition was on 7th November 1963. Love the booby trap! ?

Love the dog...................?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 16th March 2022, 9:03 AM

Very topical.

Quote: Chappers @ 17th March 2022, 8:24 PM

Very topical.

Is it? What do you think he is auditioning for? I had to think about it twice.

Larry Parkes died in 2003 so it's not BLM.

Good point.

It was Chappers saying very topical made me wonder if he's missed the point of it - clearly he is auditioning ball boys for a tennis match.

Came across this one only yesterday, from the legendary cartoonist Zec in the Daily Mirror of 1940, when the Brylcreem Boys spoilt Germany's invasion in the famous Battle of Britain.

I think it's great..........

It is great, approaching the theme from a wholly original angle - just like the drawing!

Quote: beaky @ 21st February 2022, 10:59 AM

Giles's Grandma was a marvellous comic creation. Love how she's using the dog bowl as an ashtray.

I forgot to mention previous that a statue of her was erected on what is now called "Giles Circus", which is looking up at his office in Ipswich town centre, and was unveiled by his mate Warren Milchell, accompanied by Johnny Speight - apparently, they were great boozing pals, especially when they came to stay with him at his farm in Witnesham

I did read once, that Grandma's face was based on his own fizzog.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th March 2022, 9:14 AM

When I saw the tagline above that cartoon, I pronounced it 'Great stuff this AR-AY-EFF' but I've just been told it's a play on the words of a well-known advertising slogan for Bass beer that appeared in newspapers and on pub mirrors, beer mats, ashtrays, bottle openers etc in the 1930s, 40s and 50s.
The slogan was "Great stuff this Bass" so I bet the tagline is meant to be pronounced "Great stuff this RAFF" as that would make a sort-of-rhyme with Bass.

Clever stuff, this advertising.

Quote: Firkin @ 17th March 2022, 11:56 PM

Larry Parkes died in 2003 so it's not BLM.

Good point! So accidentally topical.

Quote: beaky @ 18th March 2022, 9:36 AM

It is great, approaching the theme from a wholly original angle - just like the drawing!

I think it's very well drawn too.