HOW MUCH !!!!? Page 5

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 6th March 2019, 9:14 PM

HOW LITTLE.
The MOT is due on my car and everything was ticketyboo.
Then with a week before, my airbag light came on.... Shit
Then the next day the battery charging light wouldn't go off.

I called at the mot garage and they said I was looking at £900 for a new altenator and they'd have to call an auto electrician in to diagnose the airbag fault.

On a whim, I called in at a auto electrical garage and they plugged their device in and fixed the faulty sensor and found the plug was loose on the alternator. £150.

For 900 quid I'd be buying a new car. That's about my budget.

Quote: Chappers @ 6th March 2019, 10:32 PM

For 900 quid I'd be buying a new car. That's about my budget.

For £900, you can get an absolutely excellent car!

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 6th March 2019, 10:04 PM

Halfords called and said there was a fault with a lightbulb behind the dashboard

What part of the MOT involves a light bulb behind the dashboard? :S

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 6th March 2019, 11:58 PM

What part of the MOT involves a light bulb behind the dashboard? :S

The first one that comes to mind is the little light that tells you that your main beam is on.

The second one that comes to mind is the one that tells you your rear fog light is on (if your vehicle is obliged to have a rear fog light).

And then we have the little light that tell you your hazard lights are on.

And there are also the little lights that tell you your direction indicators are on (although you don't need those if there is an auditory warning when your winkers are flashing).

All the above are checked during an MOT test.

Here in Texas our vehicle inspection takes about 2 minutes and costs less than $15. They're supposed to check the following, but it's only a cursory inspection and you never have to get out of your car. They don't even look inside the vehicle as far as I can recall. It's basically "Left signal, right signal, brakes, headlights, brights, horn, wipers...okay you're good."

1. Horn
2. Windshield Wipers
3. Mirror
4. Steering
5. Seat Belts
6. Brakes (system) (Parking - beginning with 1960 models)
7. Tires
8. Wheel Assembly
9. Exhaust System
10. Exhaust Emission System (beginning with 1968 models)
11. Beam Indicator (beginning with 1948 models)
12. Tail Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
13. Stop Lamps (3) 1986 and newer; (2) if 1960-1985; (1) if 1959 model or earlier
14. License Plate Lamp (1)
15. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
16. Turn Signal Lamps (beginning with 1960 models)
17. Head Lamps (2)
18. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number
19. Gas caps on vehicles 2-24 model years old
20. Window Tint.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 7th March 2019, 12:19 AM

The second one that comes to mind is the one that tells you your rear fog light is on (if your vehicle is obliged to have a rear fog light).

All the above are checked during an MOT test.

Well I never, and clearly I've never had it happen with any of my cars - hence the not knowing.

On a slight connection - I remember one early evening a police car following me for about 5 miles out of town and so I pulled over to let him pass on this windy road but he stopped, came over to me and said I had my one rear bright fog light on. What a waste of time - I should have called him a wanker and made the event worth it for all concerned.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th March 2019, 12:30 AM

he stopped, came over to me and said I had my one rear bright fog light on. What a waste of time - I should have called him a wanker and made the event worth it for all concerned.

You were wise to control yourself.

It's an offence to have a fog light on when visibility is anything like reasonable.

Loads of people do it, though!

To be fair to the copper he's probably seen a few mangled bikers as a result of faulty lights.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 7th March 2019, 12:42 AM

You were wise to control yourself.

(I must use more emoticons)

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 7th March 2019, 12:52 AM

To be fair to the copper he's probably seen a few mangled bikers as a result of faulty lights.

Yes, but it was a clear night and I had too much illumination! :D

A friend of mine tells me a story that I'm never sure is true but he swears it is.
He stopped at an unmarked 4 way junction at the same time as a police car opposite.
He wasn't sure if it was ok to flash his lights at the police to let him go first, so he waved his hands to tell them to go.
The police driver gave him the wanker sign back.
So he set off first and the cop car chased him with the blue lights on.
My friend thought an injustice was about to occur and was annoyed.
At the roadside he explained he had set off first despite waving the police car on because he had been called a wanker.
Luckily the copper laughed and said I was signalling for you to put you seatbelt on.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 7th March 2019, 7:23 AM

A friend of mine tells me a story that I'm never sure is true but he swears it is.

That story does have the ring of truth to it.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 7th March 2019, 7:23 AM

He stopped at an unmarked 4 way junction at the same time as a police car opposite.
He wasn't sure if it was ok to flash his lights at the police to let him go first, so he waved his hands to tell them to go.
The police driver gave him the wanker sign back.
So he set off first and the cop car chased him with the blue lights on.
My friend thought an injustice was about to occur and was annoyed.
At the roadside he explained he had set off first despite waving the police car on because he had been called a wanker.
Luckily the copper laughed and said I was signalling for you to put you seatbelt on.

Laughing out loud I like it and hope it was true.

Not like the effin' twat that carved me up on roundabout a few years back, then followed me and threatened to book me for carving him up! I know, I know your thinking he was right and I was in the wrong BUT it wasn't like that - HE definitely carved ME up, the bloody shit. I was in the correct lane for going straight over and he changed lanes on me half way round. Angry

Quote: Rood Eye @ 6th March 2019, 9:37 AM

No, it wouldn't.

It says it on the website. I guess it's so they can tell potential customers it's LESS than half price (geez)...and, to someone else, that penny might make all the difference. Still no. https://store.winzip.com/852/purl-edm-pdf

Yes, I was just being pedantic in pointing out that if it's not "half price".

To be honest, I thought you'd done the maths wrong but the two prices you quote are indeed the ones on the website.

It's still not half price though: it's 2p less than half price. ;)

Quote: Rood Eye @ 7th March 2019, 2:18 PM

Yes, I was just being pedantic in pointing out that if it's not "half price".

To be honest, I thought you'd done the maths wrong but the two prices you quote are indeed the ones on the website.

It's still not half price though: it's 2p less than half price. ;)

No it isn't...ahem. ;-)