HOW MUCH !!!!? Page 4

Remember airfix Herc? How many hours of fun with those 'build yourself' kits.

You give me one a ME109 and a Commando comic and a bar or McCowans toffee Ste and you won't see me all Saturday .

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 4th March 2019, 2:19 PM

ME109

Ah yes, I remember my dad telling me about his exploits in the Battle of Britain.

"Fockers to right of us! Fockers to left of us! Fockers in front of us!" he said.

"Me109's?" I asked.

"Correct, son," he replied. "These fockers were indeed Messerschmitts!" :D

(Thanks to Teddy for the setup and to Stan Boardman for obvious reasons)

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 4th March 2019, 12:42 PM

Remember airfix Herc? How many hours of fun with those 'build yourself' kits.

Built a few but all in the mists now ALTHOUGH, oddly enough I do remember one Airfix kit for the Catalina - dunno why that should stick in my mind.

BUT the ones I could never master properly (or have the patience with) were the balsa wood kits. Very tricky - either stuck to me or the table cloth and I don't remember ever finishing one. Happy times with the dope though, and finishing up not giving a shit. :D

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 4th March 2019, 9:10 AM

And so, seen in my local paper shop, yet another part works magazine launches with this time build your own 93cm Terminator T-800 Endoskeleton.

Oh and look it's only £1.99 with the first parts - bargain!!

THEN 120, (YES that's one hundred and twenty issues), at the NOW £8.99 each magazine makes the final model over £1,000 AND you have to build it yourself.

This nothing new of course, so presumably people are buying these - the mind boggles.
Aimed at kids? Apparently not, the market they say is male 30 + years old. Presumably with no f**king brain or calculator.

Did I not mention this elsewhere?

Quote: Chappers @ 4th March 2019, 9:02 PM

Did you? Oh, sorry about that. Where?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 5th March 2019, 6:52 AM

Facebook.

(I was convinced I'd posted here too though)

Quote: Chappers @ 4th March 2019, 9:02 PM

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 5th March 2019, 6:52 AM

Quote: Chappers @ 5th March 2019, 7:15 PM

Facebook.

That exchange wouldn't be out of place in a 21st-century episode of "Hancock". :D

Well I did say elsewhere!Angelic

Quote: Rood Eye @ 5th March 2019, 7:34 PM

That exchange wouldn't be out of place in a 21st-century episode of "Hancock". :D

With Chappers being my Bill. :D

Ever since I downloaded a trial software to unlock ONE file I needed, Winzip has been constantly trying to make me its bitch. Not only that, they have now sent me a popup saying all Winzip customers can receive Coral PDF maker for a bargain price.

Being the sort of person who could make use of that, I clicked the link and found they are, indeed, selling it half price...for £37.76! So...it would originally cost £75.54! NO!

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 6th March 2019, 9:18 AM

half price...for £37.76! So...it would originally cost £75.54!

No, it wouldn't.

One of my nephews came to see us at the weekend with his son to see the match and have a night out. We could not accommodate them so they pre-booked into a local hotel that we knew had a dubious reputation, and we told him about it.

Anyway, to cut it short, he didn't stay there when he saw the state of it from the outside and went to a travel lodge.

On checking his bank account, he found that Booking.com had charged him a £65 booking fee even though he didn't stay at that flea pit. Absolute rip-off!! Why he or anyone would use a booking company is beyond me. SOMEONE has to pay for the amount of advertising they do.

HOW LITTLE.
The MOT is due on my car and everything was ticketyboo.
Then with a week before, my airbag light came on.... Shit
Then the next day the battery charging light wouldn't go off.

I called at the mot garage and they said I was looking at £900 for a new altenator and they'd have to call an auto electrician in to diagnose the airbag fault.

On a whim, I called in at a auto electrical garage and they plugged their device in and fixed the faulty sensor and found the plug was loose on the alternator. £150.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 6th March 2019, 9:14 PM

HOW LITTLE.
The MOT is due on my car and everything was ticketyboo.
Then with a week before, my airbag light came on.... Shit
Then the next day the battery charging light wouldn't go off.

I called at the mot garage and they said I was looking at £900 for a new altenator and they'd have to call an auto electrician in to diagnose the airbag fault.

On a whim, I called in at a auto electrical garage and they plugged their device in and fixed the faulty sensor and found the plug was loose on the alternator. £150.

Similar thing happened to me when my car was due for an MOT. I had moved house so was too far away to take it to my usual trusted garage and because I always leave it till the last minute I had to take it to a Halfords close to where I work. For the last few years I had to fork out a few hundred to get the MOT pass but it was an old car and the garage I used always made it feel like a new car so I never felt ripped off. Halfords called and said there was a fault with a lightbulb behind the dashboard so the dashboard would need to be removed to get to it and that would be a days work alone. Even then they couldn't say what the cost would be because "well, we don't know what the problem is until the dash is out".

I Picked up the car and took a day off to get it to my old trusted garage in Stroud. They gave me a hire car for a few days while they did the work needed to pass the MOT and they didn't even mention anything about a faulty lightbulb. Halfords shops are good for buying parts but I don't trust them for repairs and MOTs. No way Pedro.