HOW MUCH !!!!? Page 17

Was that private? I don't think £70 is out.

On the subject of dentists - I have a new one. She is as they say 'a big lass. But so nice and gentle.
Before she injects you she asks if you want some strawberry numbing gel on your gums.
It's like strawberry-flavoured Bonjela. You don't feel the needle at all. And to me, that is the worst part.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 14th September 2023, 8:22 AM

On the subject of dentists - I have a new one. She is as they say 'a big lass. But so nice and gentle.
Before she injects you she asks if you want some strawberry numbing gel on your gums.
It's like strawberry-flavoured Bonjela. You don't feel the needle at all. And to me, that is the worst part.

Oh bless - did you get a lollipop for being a good boy?

I hope she didn't interfere with you while you were out and so relaxed.

Ha ha. I did think it must be for the kids. Next time I'm asking for whiskey flavoured Bonjela.

A dentist I used to go to in Hemel Hempstead (when I lived there in the 1980s) used to put a little gas mask on your nose and it was like having two or three whiskies, so you didn't care what he did.

Hot Cross Buns. I remember when they were one a penny, sometimes even two a penny.

Yes, it makes me so cross

But not so cross with the likes of M&S making/selling them in various flavours - WHY!!!!

Just leave them alone for Christ's sake

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 29th March 2024, 9:40 AM

But not so cross with the likes of M&S making/selling them in various flavours - WHY!!!!

I've bought some of their cheese flavoured ones. I'm told they're nice warmed up with marmite.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 29th March 2024, 9:40 AM

Mind you, you'd think the last thing he'd want to see is a cross.
Talk about flashbacks...

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 29th March 2024, 10:57 AM

I've bought some of their cheese flavoured ones. I'm told they're nice warmed up with marmite.

I expect you expected this ........................🤢

I was scouring charity shops for chess books with no joy until I went in to a second hand book shop and there was a whole section of them so I bought five books including the fabled paperback original version of Bobby Fischer - My 60 Memorable Games which is considered essential reading among chess enthusiasts. I was going to buy it on Amazon and would have happily paid £10 for that book alone but I was charged £4 for all of them. Most of them have 'D.G. Hunter, Trinity College, Oxford' hand written on the inside cover. No idea who that is but if I can trace them or their descendants I'll ask if they would like them back.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 29th March 2024, 4:52 PM

I was scouring charity shops for chess books with no joy until I went in to a second hand book shop and there was a whole section of them so I bought five books including the fabled paperback original version of Bobby Fischer - My 60 Memorable Games which is considered essential reading among chess enthusiasts. I was going to buy it on Amazon and would have happily paid £10 for that book alone but I was charged £4 for all of them. Most of them have 'D.G. Hunter, Trinity College, Oxford' hand written on the inside cover. No idea who that is but if I can trace them or their descendants I'll ask if they would like them back.

Failing that you could take them down to the local pawn shop.

Your jokes are getting a bit stale mate

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 29th March 2024, 5:28 PM

Failing that you could take them down to the local pawn shop.

:D I must admit that took me a few seconds longer than it should have. I would reply with 'check' as that's all I can think of but it's a bit weak.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 29th March 2024, 9:38 PM

:D I must admit that took me a few seconds longer than it should have. I would reply with 'check' as that's all I can think of but it's a bit weak.

My youngest niece was once her school's chess champion and the club is run by the couple at #26's son, their English teacher, whom both nieces have nicknamed 'Big Bum'. He visits his parents every Friday, evening, so I was literally glued to the Venetian blinds awaiting his arrival to check whether his derriere was on the large side. Readers: it was.

It's boring in suburbia. I'm applying to get back into the civil service and it's not easy. Bum.

As for things going up in price - my smart meter is pissing me off no end.