HOW MUCH !!!!?

A thread for you to air the alarming prices you have paid for something or seen advertised, be it very expensive OR very cheap.

This has been inspired by some casual research I finally got around to into why you could not buy the PINK Germolene anymore. Now this may well mean absolutely nothing to our young readers but in my sprog days it was the wonder cure all ointment that yer Mum put on that grazed knee or nettle rash as it not only then healed quickly, it also soothed itchiness - something that you will find becomes more of an issue as you get older for those "private areas". :$

Now I have been buying the "regular white" Germolene for several years now and assumed the pink had been taken out of the formula as being superfluous to the effectiveness of the antiseptic properties, BUT often wondered why? And it turns out that the original PINK Germolene IS still available online ONLY! It seems the common or garden white Germolene 55g tube is about £4 or £5 BUT (FFS!!) the ORIGINAL PINK is...................wait for it................about £38 for the same size tube!!!!!!

Now, the "cheap white" is apparently a CREAM but the "original pink" is an ointment and so you see that explains it all - NOT! And yet it seems people are prepared to pay that £38 to get/use the original.

But the tale doesn't end there. According to the Mumsnet site the original pink is available in South Africa for about £3 or £4!! Someone is making a lot of money somewhere along the line!

NOW FOR A CHEAPY
Just to balance it up and I know I have mentioned this elsewhere, but the Panasonic home phone set I bought recently came singly £69 or two handsets £69.90, which I was going for to replace our existing two station set-up OR £69.99 for the triple set - YES, that's the third handset for 9p - NINE PENCE. Bargain or what.

Blimey, I still have a pink Germolene knocking about in a kitchen drawer. I buy the white one ALL the time as it works for everything. But, do you know, there is also a clear gel one that stings like FACK, but doesn't seem to do anything further than that...and, now you've put this thread up, I will also try to find it.

Incidentally, did you know, that the toothpaste called Euthymol smells/tastes a bit like the Pink Germolene. I buy that all the time too. Makes your teeth and mouth REALLY clean...and, yes, I've tasted all the Germolenes...that's how I know.

I wear Dr Martens boots - a lot. For work and walking the dog
They are expensive for boots but they are excellent quality.

I wear a pair out in about a year. The soles not the leather and you can't get them re-soled.
I buy the classic red ones and pay about £75 -£80.

This year they have jumped up to £130 - best price with discount £113
That's some jump.
There seems to now be a monopoly as they are the same price either from the manufacturers or Amazon and other retailers.
I won't pay that, like the pink germolene, they are taking the piss.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 20th February 2019, 4:27 PM

I wear a pair out in about a year. The soles not the leather and you can't get them re-soled.

Bloody hell! A pair a year! My 10-hole Doc boots are 11 years old and still going strong with daily wear, although one sole now has a heel-hole. I would gladly take your old shoes (if you're a size 13?). I know a cobbler who can stitch and glue-patch old Doc shoes back together.

Timpson's re-sole DMs. Best part of £60, though.

I wear dickies boots instead

£25 off amazon!

Size 13! I don't know if Oz sizes are the same as uk, if so, thems big troggers you got there.
Size 9 UK
£60 for re-soling. Cor

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th February 2019, 4:14 PM

A thread for you to air the alarming prices you have paid for something or seen advertised, be it very expensive OR very cheap.

This has been inspired by some casual research I finally got around to into why you could not buy the PINK Germolene anymore. Now this may well mean absolutely nothing to our young readers but in my sprog days it was the wonder cure all ointment that yer Mum put on that grazed knee or nettle rash as it not only then healed quickly, it also soothed itchiness - something that you will find becomes more of an issue as you get older for those "private areas". :$

Now I have been buying the "regular white" Germolene for several years now and assumed the pink had been taken out of the formula as being superfluous to the effectiveness of the antiseptic properties, BUT often wondered why? And it turns out that the original PINK Germolene IS still available online ONLY! It seems the common or garden white Germolene 55g tube is about £4 or £5 BUT (FFS!!) the ORIGINAL PINK is...................wait for it................about £38 for the same size tube!!!!!!

Now, the "cheap white" is apparently a CREAM but the "original pink" is an ointment and so you see that explains it all - NOT! And yet it seems people are prepared to pay that £38 to get/use the original.

But the tale doesn't end there. According to the Mumsnet site the original pink is available in South Africa for about £3 or £4!! Someone is making a lot of money somewhere along the line!

NOW FOR A CHEAPY
Just to balance it up and I know I have mentioned this elsewhere, but the Panasonic home phone set I bought recently came singly £69 or two handsets £69.90, which I was going for to replace our existing two station set-up OR £69.99 for the triple set - YES, that's the third handset for 9p - NINE PENCE. Bargain or what.

Surely pink germolene is sexist and white germolene is racist. It should be colourless.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 20th February 2019, 4:27 PM

I wear Dr Martens boots - a lot. For work and walking the dog
They are expensive for boots but they are excellent quality.

I buy the classic red ones and pay about £75 -£80.

This year they have jumped up to £130 - best price with discount £113
That's some jump.
There seems to now be a monopoly as they are the same price either from the manufacturers or Amazon and other retailers.
I won't pay that, like the pink germolene, they are taking the piss.

I think you're being conned or a fashion victim. If you pay that much every year why don't you go to Shoe Zone?

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 20th February 2019, 4:22 PM

Blimey, I still have a pink Germolene knocking about in a kitchen drawer. too..

I'll give you a couple of quid for it...............all right a fiver then.............£9 and that's my last offer!! OK, OK if it's still squeezable £12?

Incidentally, did you know, that the toothpaste called Euthymol smells/tastes a bit like the Pink Germolene. I buy that all the time too. Makes your teeth and mouth REALLY clean...and, yes, I've tasted all the Germolenes...that's how I know.

Thanks for the tip. I'll get some as I miss that distinctive smell of the original Germolene - I want to get that high again. :D

Incidentally, did you know, that the toothpaste called Euthymol........................

Just this minute ordered with my Tesco order for tomorrow - phew! Had until 11.45 to add things to my order. :)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th February 2019, 11:36 PM

Just this minute ordered with my Tesco order for tomorrow - phew! Had until 11.45 to add things to my order. :)

It comes in a lovely metal tube, too, so you really feel like you're scrubbing a brush full of ointment across your teeth. Lovely.

I used to like that toothpaste for a while - and you are right, it really does make your teeth and mouth feel clean and sterilized.

But it burnt me gob off. (and my tongue) I'm sure it strips the first layer of skin away :)

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 21st February 2019, 10:35 AM

I used to like that toothpaste for a while - and you are right, it really does make your teeth and mouth feel clean and sterilized.

But it burnt me gob off. (and my tongue) I'm sure it strips the first layer of skin away :)

It doesn't have fluoride in it either, so you do have to use it with another paste. Great a few hours after a dirty burger, when all you're left with is the taste of liquidized cow. Squeaky clean and fresh.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 21st February 2019, 10:35 AM

NOW he tells me............it's being delivered this afternoon! :(

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st February 2019, 11:15 AM

NOW he tells me............it's being delivered this afternoon! :(

Don't listen to him. He probably got back from the pub totally wankered one night and tried to clean his teeth with a tube of Polishall, or something. We've all been there.

Houston the Euthymol has landed beep at 2:34:46 Earth time from the planet Tesco. beep I am about to open the capsule...................beep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6piDRKOwh88

...........the cap is off and am now actioning the reverse docking to pierce the heat protection foil. beep

IT'S PINK!! beep You never said it was pink, beep tastes OK though, beep but Houston we have a problem as I lost my sense of smell a couple of years ago so will have to take your word for it that it smells like the original Germolene beep from the Bayer asteroid belt. beep :(