Saxondale Page 10

Shows like Saxondale won't come back because they don't fit the current narrative and advertising mold
I mean there's only so much budget for Beeb comedy and the current restorative justice trend has replaced quirky working class comedy with BAME/LGBTQ focused content instead.
Now on the merits of this I leave everyone to their own but it is what it is.
Kinda like when all the still highly rated USA tv rural themed sitcoms and variety shows were given the boot after the Civil Rights era.
Google "rural purge usa tv"

......err....?

Wut? 🤡

I bought 'The Complete Coogan' boxset a while ago and it's sitting pride of place on my Ikea Billy Bookcase. The infrequent visitors to Logic Towers often ask me why I like old skool DVDs and I answer that it's because I'm a true comedy nerd and not everything is available on streaming. Also, in this day and age, scenes are often cut because they're no longer seen as politically correct.

I remember watching Saxondale at the time it was first broadcast and like most of Coogan's work, he's bloody brilliant. Was it funny? Well, it was patchy. As PPs have already said, Mowenna Banks was bloody excellent and quite frankly, so were the entire cast. It reminded me of Coogan's Paul Calf era work such as 'Coogan's Run' etc. I like the fact that he's in anger management workshops as I can imagine Coogan's real-life character is a bit like that. His autobiography was certainly tedious with a strong flavour of Partridge's "needless to say I had the last laugh" permeating every page. I'll probably re-buy it on Audible at some point as I really enjoyed his tale about the knives his parents were gifted a set of kitchen knives on their marriage and that they're still going strong. Apparently 'built in obsolence' is a thing now. Is Coogan on the spectrum? I know that I often think that every comedian is, but this minutae of detail is so purely boring? Maybe he's just incredibly dull?

I'll re-watch Saxondale and let you know. I loved Rasmus in the sublime Lead Balloon.

I've not watched series 1 since it's original transmission

Laughs wise, at the time there was absolutely zero comparison to I'm Alan Partridge so I poo pooed it

Watching Series 1 again now and although it's not exactly hysterical- it is very enjoyable

And Coogan is great

You have now spurred me on to dust off my DVD and do the same. I bought a new player recently and might as well get the use out of it. Coogan is a comedy God.