Saxondale Page 7

I have to admit that having just watched the fourth episode, which I tried to watch more critically than I had the three previous, it did seem a little formulaic. Tommy seemed to be to be trying to understand his position between the common man – who enjoy good films for muff-shots – and academia based intellectuals like the teacher.

Also, the opening therapy scene was a bit of a put off as it seemed to have been penned while watching The League of Gentlemen . . . I swear that was Pauline asking for a list of occupations, only to end up telling Ross to "Piss off!"

Here's some clips from the show the BBC have uploaded...
Car Oil: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ8-2icgq9o
Ticket inspector: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cNeE0DCcnE

Episode five finally broke with the formula it had been following. Unfortunately the best scene was in the office (btw, did you notice they had a different set up to them going into the office?) when she's telling him his beard would make for a great grip. That was somewhere in the middle of the episode. I thought the whole court scenes dragged on a bit, like when he has that loooooooooong build up to exposing the man as a fraud for using a walking stick... really, was there even one viewer not expecting it to have blown up in Tommy's face?

I'm not sure I like Keanu Reeves as a recurring character. I felt he was kind of wedged into the storyline (although his remark in court about him pretty much being a man-whore was funny).

I loved the scenes in the art gallery.

That's OK but that's not OK.

I'd like to see that picture of the Queen in a burkah.

Incidentally is Ruth Jones a slightly overweight version of Jude?

Dave! Ruth Jones is absolutely gorgeous!

And so are you Jude!

Lovey

Funniest episode of the lot tonight, what a way to end a show - a touching reunion involving a Rush album!
Can't believe there's people on here complaining that this show's not funny enough for them...I know comedy's subjective and all that, but most character comedy needs time to develop, it hasn't got the instant gratification of the gag,gag,gag based sitcom (many of which I also like). Evolution and all that...that's why we're here...right I've started comparing comedy to the origin of the species, time to go and sleep.

I did quite like last night's ep. Some cringeworthy moments (and not in a good way), but some pretty good too.

Quote: Aaron @ September 28, 2007, 10:54 AM

I did quite like last night's ep. Some cringeworthy moments (and not in a good way), but some pretty good too.

Like the whole Native American thing, although the line, "I thought was shit," made me laugh.

I liked the bits isolated on their own, such as the art gallery scene, but as a whole episode, the plot was a bit predictable. It was pretty much a 30 minute rom-com.

Worst part: the cell phone gag. How many times has that been done?

There's nothing wrong with doing something that others have.

But only if it were funny in the first place.

I watched last weeks and this weeks together and I'm quite liking Tommy, although I still think Coogan overacts his mannerisms, it's still a nice little show that plods along.

Quote: Leevil @ October 5, 2007, 1:36 AM

I watched last weeks and this weeks together and I'm quite liking Tommy, although I still think Coogan overacts his mannerisms, it's still a nice little show that plods along.

So there is -- in fact -- a seventh episode for series 2? I checked BBC's Saxondale page, but it doesn't have an episode breakdown. :S I thought that maybe there'd only be six since the first one series one was so different than the rest of the series, almost like a pilot, and not to be included in the regular series.

Incidentally the Kevin Eldon one was my favourite.

Quote: Leevil @ October 5, 2007, 11:10 AM

Incidentally the Kevin Eldon one was my favourite.

:D Naturally. Keep your Coogans and your Cleeses and your Gervaises... gimme Eldon any day. Such a versatile actor as evinced by Big Train.

So, Leevil... there IS a seventh episode? R.S.V.P. :P