Saxondale Page 9

Good show it's no Partridge, but has its moments. I was kind of disappointed, though as I thought Coogan's Run was great. Always thought Coogan's best work was from the KMKY Radio shows, as well as 1st series of I'm Alan Partridge.

Apologies for breathing life into a long dead thread, but...

Does anyone know if Steve Coogan based the character of Tommy Saxondale on Kevin Godley? I've just been watching The Music Videos That Shaped The 80s and not only do they look alike, but Godley also has that drawling speaking manner.

It was actually quite amusing to watch... (wait for it) unlike Saxondale!

Ah, could possibly be, yeah, haven't a clue if he is, but Coogan loves to base his character on real people and Godley is a Lancastrian like Coogan, he does look like Saxondale, and being mainly a music video man to the stars now, he is quite likely to have crossed his path, and maybe the roadie thing is a sort of music related reference. Haven't seen him on TV for ages but the last time I did, he did drawl out his words, and was wearing a teeshirt and sandals. I think it's a good call that. May need a real Coogan anorak to confirm this - (in Alan Partridge voice) 'Hellooooooooo' Coogan anoraks, are you out there?'

BTW I'm a Saxondale fan, it isn't uproarous but it's subtle, different, clever and very amusing imo. It also shows what a great actor he is, if we didn't already know.

I love the wordy Saxondale-style of comedy, the way he's always coming out with anecdotes, which are filled with music trivia. You can tell the writers have done a lot of research, and have spent a lot of time working on it. I think it all goes back to my fondness for Les Dawson.

Yeah that's the best part of it really, his conceited, self dellusionary anecdotes of being with 'stars' that are hardly even has beens. His character is more common than many on here have said, I've certainly met a few Saxondales, I think he's a perceptive, clever creation. Are we getting another series sometime? I hope we do!

Great show, have both series on DVD, I definitely prefer it to Partridge

Quote: peter gazzard @ July 30 2010, 8:35 PM BST

Great show,

I agree, and I like it even more since I was sent a free copy of the boxset. :)

Has anyone seen Hamlet 2?

Yes, I thought it was terrible.

But...

Quote: Curt @ April 23 2009, 6:03 AM BST

I watched it and really liked it. I thought it was really funny. I watched it with a friend who had no idea who Coogan was but finished watching the movie saying he thought the actor was really good. When I told him he was British he actually didn't believe me so I showed him a piece from Partridge to which he was unimpressed. Laughing out loud

Yeah I thought it was good, all the eps I saw, and would like to watch it again, but haven't seen a flicker of it on the usual re run channels. Not sure why. As a Coogan vehicle it's got to be a welcome change from his tedious Alan Partridge rehashes.

I remember enjoying this when it was on BBC originally. I'd be very happy if they brought it back!

Steve has his moments in Hamlet 2 but the highlight of the film is Catherine Keener. I enjoyed the film and there are laugh out load moments but one of those films I'm not fussed watching again.

As for Saxondale maybe I'm destined to not enjoy it but I can't see how that's possible when it involves Coogan. I've watched the first episode a few times over the years but still not started episode two.

Was this really nearly 20 years ago? I liked it but obviously it's been consigned to the sitcom graveyard.

Series 1 was boring.

Series 2 however I found quite enjoyable.

Just finished Big Beacon, and it got me thinking back to Saxondale again. Fan of Partridge old and new, but still think Tommy Saxondale was the superior comic creation. Alan being a complete and utter prat all the time makes people's tolerance of him a bit absurd, but Tommy straddled that fine line between pub bore and genuinely witty chap very nicely. Made for a much more believable character in my book. Real shame this show didn't get renewed.