Saxondale Page 5

Quote: Godot Taxis @ August 31, 2007, 1:59 PM

Leevil's right. last night's ep was excellent - up with the best, like series 1/1 and the one with the Clarkson piss-take.

I loved that one!

Quote: Leevil @ August 31, 2007, 2:03 PM

He's still using some great lines and the same style as he normally uses, but somethings just not adding up?

The problem is that there's just nothing in the character to care about, and very little that most people can relate to. Seems to have been written purely to satisfy Coogan's own personal interests rather than for any real comedic value. Unless your life revolves around reminiscing 60s and 70s rock tours, with a side-interest in 'vintage' automobiles, he's about as dull as possible. Some of it's amusing, but there's nowhere near enough substance to warrant two full series', and there needs to be far more character development, and indeed actual use of other characters.

I'm sure we've all read the accusations over the past few days that Coogan's life is that of drink, drugs and parties. It shows.

Yeah, I suppose that's it - I don't care about his character at all. Whereas I cared about old Alan however stupid he was.

Saxondale isn't pathetic enough to feel sorry for, or charming enough to want to be friends with. Or funny enough to want to watch no matter what.

Well said. The thing about Alan was that there's something of that in all of us. And whilst there may be aspects of Saxondale in all of us, his rock, cars n pests front is far too heavily concentrated on - and indeed too 'thick' - for it to come across.

I think Morwenna makes it!

I do like Coogan but Saxondale is quite disappointing. You can see the jokes coming a mile away and they seem to be completely dependent on his character carrying the show.

I just can't make my mind up about this show. Its not amazingly funny and not particularly full of pathos. Yet I keep watching it and am not sure why. Errr

Have to agree with others that Saxondale is not a likeable guy or even that identifiable. I do think his irritating neighbour is a good character though.

Quote: Jay72 @ September 10, 2007, 6:23 PM

I just can't make my mind up about this show. Its not amazingly funny and not particularly full of pathos. Yet I keep watching it and am not sure why. Errr

Have to agree with others that Saxondale is not a likeable guy or even that identifiable. I do think his irritating neighbour is a good character though.

I watch it mainly because the characters are really well done and I like the way the story plods along and theres no moral tale or major drama unlike almost all stitcoms at the moment.

One thing you have to say when watching Saxondale is that Steve Coogan has proved himself as a really great character actor through the series. Tommy Saxondale, the squatter Coogan played in the last episode and Alan Partridge share virtually no common ground. Very versatile.

I like the random 70's music references. Takes me back to my youth - wherever he is.

I wouldn't equate subtle with bad. A lot of you say the character is unlikeable, but is Alan Partridge really likeable? I don't think so. I think Alan Partridge has only made himself sympathetic on the basis of his own failures, which we have seen spread out over the years. I would say that in "Knowing Me Knowing You," he isn't sympathetic either; he's just an ass.

I think the fun in Saxondale, and Tommy, is seeing him fail. When he gets up in front of the committee and basically has nothing to say, that's just great. When he gets told in the anger management meeting – very poignantly – the reality of how he acts, and his reaction is to simply say "piss off", then rip the head off the rabbit... that just makes him more pathetic. He has failed to live up to what he believes himself to be, and I find that really funny, and really human.

Yes, good points Mick and welcome!

But I like Alan, I sympathize with him, he's not the problem, it's all the people around him are to blame. What people? Ah, just the general public, they're idiots!

:P

Quote: Leevil @ September 12, 2007, 1:59 PM

Yes, good points Mick and welcome!

Thanks. :) Found this place by chance.

Quote: Leevil @ September 12, 2007, 1:59 PM

But I like Alan, I sympathize with him, he's not the problem, it's all the people around him are to blame. What people? Ah, just the general public, they're idiots!

:P

Ah! Now you're being interesting! :P

Yeah, I like Alan too, and I think he's great, but I think he's great because of how much he's been developed as a character.

Tommy will never overshadow Alan . . . ever, but why should we even make the comparison to begin with. Tommy – to me at least – is compelling on his own. If you want to compare it to something, why not compare it to the horrid sitcoms that Americans churn out. Saxondale isn't mind-blowing, but it's a good, solid watch.

Quote: Mick Dolan @ September 12, 2007, 2:09 PM

Thanks. :) Found this place by chance.

Or was it fate? You are trapped here for ever now. Lock the doors.

Quote: Mick Dolan @ September 12, 2007, 2:09 PM

Tommy will never overshadow Alan . . . ever, but why should we even make the comparison to begin with. Tommy – to me at least – is compelling on his own.

I agree, I like Saxondale, well enough to watch it.

Quote: Leevil @ September 12, 2007, 2:13 PM

Or was it fate? You are trapped here for ever now. Lock the doors.

Is this place called "Darkplace"? LOL Oh no, is that the Scottish mists rolling in?! :O

Quote: Leevil @ September 12, 2007, 2:13 PM

I agree, I like Saxondale, well enough to watch it.

Yeah, people are often far too critical. Of course everyone would love it if 'classic' quality Britcoms were being made each year, but that's just not realistic. I think if you can give a show 7/10 it's "good" and worth a watch, and anything more is just that, a bonus.