Saxondale

Saxondale. Tommy (Steve Coogan). Copyright: Baby Cow Productions.

Saxondale

Steve Coogan stars as Tom Saxondale, an ex-roadie now running a pest control business in suburbia

Jason Kindred

• Thursday 23rd November 2006, 2:18pm
  • England
  • 102 posts

I'd be interested to know what other people thought of Steve Coogan's Saxondale, from earlier this year. Although it never scaled the heights of Partridge, and had a lot of faults, I liked it a lot. I thought the central character was really well realised, and the relationship with his girlfriend was quite touching. Does anybody know if it'll get a second series?

Thomps

• Thursday 23rd November 2006, 2:25pm [Edited]
  • England
  • 172 posts

I liked it, but then I am a Steve Coogan fan. It was a bit short in the laughs department but I thought that Coogan was excellent and I liked the way that they developed his relationship with his girlfriend and teenage assistant. I think I'm correct in saying that a second series has not yet been given the go ahead. I'm not sure that more episodes would be a great idea - got the feeling that Saxondale was one of those 'one series' sitcoms.

dyingtolive

• Thursday 23rd November 2006, 2:51pm
  • England
  • 106 posts

i watched the first one and forgot/always missed to watch the rest from what i saw i didnt really like it

Matthew Stott

• Thursday 23rd November 2006, 10:14pm
  • Yemen
  • 19,296 posts

I thought it was really good, less joke or laugh orientated than his earlier stuff, but still very funny with a great central performance from Coogan.

Jay72

• Friday 24th November 2006, 2:48am
  • Norfolk, England
  • 248 posts

Errr

My view on this is similar to the one I posted on Nathan Barley. I didn't find this amazingly funny, but was a strangely watchable comedy (although I am a Coogan fan).

Worth a second series in my book.

Aaron

• Friday 24th November 2006, 2:47pm
  • Royal Berkshire, England
  • 68,399 posts

Definitely with Jay on this one. Not amazing, but not unwatchable shite either. It'll be interesting to see what would happen in a second series, but I'm doubtful as to whether there will be one.

Lee

• Monday 6th August 2007, 7:04pm
  • Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
  • 36,344 posts
Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 6, 2007, 1:54 PM

I for one am happy theres a second series, as I did enjoy the first. It wasnt amazingly funny, but it was enjoyable and I think theres a lot of scope for it to be developed and the laugh rate increased second time around.

Ditto.

Godot Taxis

• Monday 6th August 2007, 8:18pm
  • England
  • 5,243 posts

That's good. The first series was variable, but the first episode was a cracker, although I've since gone off Ruth Jones in a big way - especially if Josh Dulaney on the Gavin & Stacey thread was her, which I think it was.

Pilot

• Wednesday 8th August 2007, 5:21am
  • England
  • 269 posts

I felt the character had potential, and I liked his rants and the group therapy scenes. I definitely think it needs a second series to take off. Only have to look at series like Seinfeld which took off a few series in.

Chappers

• Thursday 9th August 2007, 1:04am
  • Surreyish., England
  • 30,576 posts

Morwenna was great in it though. Have I said that before?

jacparov

• Thursday 9th August 2007, 1:11am
  • Southport, England
  • 1,446 posts

I quite liked it although like most people i don't think it was outstanding.

I love the scene where he shoots the rat/squirrel or what ever from point blank range.

Pilot

• Monday 13th August 2007, 7:20am
  • England
  • 269 posts

saw the trailer for the next series, it looks promising.

Walker

• Monday 13th August 2007, 9:55pm
  • Teesside, England
  • 307 posts

I liked it from the start, but as the series went on i thought the quality decreased. By the end, i didn't like it very much. I'll watch this second series though.

Britcom Barry

• Tuesday 14th August 2007, 1:01am
  • England
  • 446 posts
Quote: jacparov @ August 8, 2007, 8:11 PM

I quite liked it although like most people i don't think it was outstanding.

I love the scene where he shoots the rat/squirrel or what ever from point blank range.

Pigeon. (Only knew as I re-watch it last week)

OK at best, but of cause I’ll be watching the second series.