This forum

I meant to post this ages ago...

Since this site was revamped, the forum has been "downgraded" and can now only be found by clicking on the 'more' tab. I would have thought that it would have made more sense to have made it one of the first things that is visible on the site, in order to encourage activity.

Apologies if any of the above is incorrect.

As some people know I am not a fan of the revamp, but hey! Who the hell else is going to put up with this old curmudgeon.

Dunno about you young people accessing the site, but the shortcut I have on my tower desktop takes me straight to Active Threads, so I know not of what you complain, but sympathise. :)

The More the merrier, surely?

Mark was saying something about having trouble fitting things onto the menu bar. Something about it looking like is has more room for things than it actually does. There are a lot of great things I only discovered by chance by clicking the "Even more" button off the "More" tab. A lot of gold hidden in that section. To me at least.

But yes, the more the merrier!

I see what you mean but now I know what to do it's not really a problem. Just an extra couple of clicks which only probably affects Michael. He has other uses so I understand.

Thanks for the feedback. Obviously ideally we'd love to showcase everything in the main menu (as Davida says, we do lots people might not know about), but due to the way some devices display things, it's only possible to get 8 items up there, and so we've picked the ones that are most used (well nearly, 'People' will be a bigger section soon, and Shop obviously is where some money comes in, so we have to prioritise that a bit).

As Chappers says, hopefully it's not too hard to find forums under 'More' though!

'Active Forum Threads' is also linked to from the homepage by the way - which is hopefully a fairly fast way to get back here too.

The active thread tab works great and I use it a lot on my mobile.

Still wish there was an active threads link at the top of the page once you get to the forum (I think this is only an issue on the mobile version), not just down at the bottom. But that's just me being exceptionally lazy.

I almost think "People" could be swapped out for a "Forum" tab, as you can get to the people-y stuff via the TV, Radio, Film, Online, and Live sections, can't you? But you said, you have plans to revamp "People" so I'll shut up now.

Thanks for your hard work, Mark!

While on the subject, Mark.

How would you feel about changing the colour of the POST button on "Fast Reply" to Blue to match its header and the REPLY button just above it.

I have been finding that I often hit the "ActiveThreads" GO button instead of Post (by reflex) which means that I lose what I typed and have to type it all again. It's possible that the colours mislead the eye ??

Green is our house style for positive action buttons (i.e. form submission), and blue for navigation. Rather than clicking the (wrong) button, why not tab + space?

Quote: billwill @ 7th April 2017, 2:58 PM

While on the subject, Mark.

How would you feel about changing the colour of the POST button on "Fast Reply" to Blue to match its header and the REPLY button just above it.

I have been finding that I often hit the "ActiveThreads" GO button instead of Post (by reflex) which means that I lose what I typed and have to type it all again. It's possible that the colours mislead the eye ??

I JUST made that exact mistake and had to retype a long post.

Quote: billwill @ 7th April 2017, 2:58 PM

I have been finding that I often hit the "ActiveThreads" GO button instead of Post (by reflex) which means that I lose what I typed and have to type it all again.

I do that virtually every time. But I just press the "back arrow" (or whatever the official name is) and my comments are still there waiting for me to post it correctly.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 7th April 2017, 10:14 PM

I do that virtually every time. But I just press the "back arrow" (or whatever the official name is) and my comments are still there waiting for me to post it correctly.

On a PC or on your mobile? I'm usual on the mobile, and the back button doesn't retain what I wrote when I hit it. Not sure about on my laptop. I think I usually manage to hit the right button from my laptop.

Quote: Davida Grimes @ 8th April 2017, 3:00 AM

On a PC or on your mobile? I'm usual on the mobile, and the back button doesn't retain what I wrote when I hit it. Not sure about on my laptop. I think I usually manage to hit the right button from my laptop.

On my laptop & on my tablet. Don't have a phone that connects to the internet.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 8th April 2017, 9:17 AM

On my laptop & on my tablet. Don't have a phone that connects to the internet.

Billy! We have that in common. It's worrying seeing half the population seemingly glued to their smartphones.

Quote: beaky @ 8th April 2017, 9:59 AM

Billy! We have that in common. It's worrying seeing half the population seemingly glued to their smartphones.

I love how every generation seems to hit an age when they can't help but think the latest technology that "kids these days" are using is cause for such concern. I'm guilty of it as well. I worry about 7 year olds having iphones, and tablets, and school children being able to use the internet as a substitute for utilizing their own memory and reading books etc. But even radio and TV were similarly worrying to past generations. Thought they would corrupt the youth. Pretty sure the youth always have been and always will be a bit corrupted. It'll be interesting to me to see how the rate of dementia/Alzheimer's changes when my generation and those younger than me get up in age. I suspect there's going to be a LOT more dementia. Surely using the internet to store your knowledge, rather than your own brain/memory has to take some kind of toll. Just speculation on my part though.

Edit: Sorry, just realized that was totally off-topic.

So, back on topic...What's going to change with the "People" section? I'm curious.