Shooting Stars Page 39

At least the running jokes have changed over the years.
Vic doesn't do his awful joke anymore for example

Quote: johnny smith @ August 30 2011, 12:40 AM BST

I also miss seeing Bob randomly 'skanking' or Vic doing THAT dance to 'Freed from Desire' (but I guess he just can't leap over his desk anymore like he used to). I don't think Vic even says ERANU and UVAVU anymore at the beginning and end of the last round anymore.

He does leap on the desk during the rubbing trousers. Do miss the ERANU though.

It's always been formulaic. They plan every little thing out beforehand.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ August 30 2011, 12:42 AM BST

At least the running jokes have changed over the years.
Vic doesn't do his awful joke anymore for example

Exactly. It's actually amazing that it still feels so fresh after all these years when it's essentially the same show.

I'm sure a lot of it was planned but it still used to seem so spontaneous and off-the-cuff and it doesn't as much anymore.

Ah, fair enough.

Could partly be because you're older and more cynical/less naive?

I guess it's inevitable when your comedy has a style that's so particular and so unique and precariously written/performed/balanced. It happened in the 3rd series of The Mighty Boosh - it's like they got just one tiny ingredient of what made Series 1 and 2 so great wrong or it became absent so that the overall result looked too self-analytical/parodying and knowing (like it's pulling the sum of its parts apart and putting boring/unfunny spaces of awareness inbetween them when they get put back together - if you get what I mean).

I didn't even know Boosh did a third series.
But I don't really watch it that much.

The show hasn't gone down hill in the slightest; it's as good and as creative and funny as it ever was.

Vic could do with a trip to the barbers.

The last two comments are both true.

Technically the last three were.

They are repeating some older series as well at the mo.
It's interesting to see the difference, but there isn't any major difference in quality that I can gauge unless it's going upwards

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ August 30 2011, 10:35 PM BST

They are repeating some older series as well at the mo.
It's interesting to see the difference, but there isn't any major difference in quality that I can gauge unless it's going upwards

Agree.

Inspired by this great series of Shooting Stars, I've been watching Smell of Reeves and Mortimer. It's aged pretty well, I would say. Some very funny stuff. Anybody suffering Shooting Stars withdrawals (when it's finished) could do worse than to dig into it.

Shooting Stars was only ever less than brilliant when Will Self and Johnny Vegas were main stays. They took the emphasis away from Vic and Bob's surreal nonsense and dragged the show down.

The set up at the moment is perfect, although Ulrika has been on the turn for a while. Lisa Snowdon would be a delightful replacement.

Since they've come back it's been brilliant and getting better and better.

More genius work by the boys tonight. Legendary stuff. :)

Quote: john lucas 101 @ August 31 2011, 9:46 AM BST

Inspired by this great series of Shooting Stars, I've been watching Smell of Reeves and Mortimer. It's aged pretty well, I would say. Some very funny stuff. Anybody suffering Shooting Stars withdrawals (when it's finished) could do worse than to dig into it.

Ha! I've been doing just that!

It was packed with great stuff wasn't it? Uncle Peter, Otis and Marvin, Mulligan and O'Hare etc etc.

I might rewatch Bang Bang, It's Reeves And Mortimer next.