Favourite comedy films

Hello everyone, seeing as this is the thread for film, I thought it would be good if we said what are the favourite comedy films are.
Some of my favourites are some like it hot, all of the Monty Python films, School of Rock, and Airplane. Anyone agree/ disagree?
:D

I should probably have grown out of these by now, but the first 2 Home Alone's are amongst my favourite comedies. Love John Candy, Uncle Buck, Cool Runnings and Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Notting Hill is superb. I like the teen gross out films, American Pie, Road trip and Van Wilder. The Police Academy series, sans #7. I like Twins and Kindergarten Cop. Mousehunt's good, so is Something about Mary, Dodgeball and Meet The Parents. Tons more, but someone else can say them!

My all time favourites include the Monty Python films, Airplane, The Producers, Bananas and The Jerk.

Funniest film I've seen in recent years would have to be Anchorman. "I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Mmm, mmm, mmm. Here it goes down, down to my belly..."

Carry Ons, got to be up there.

This Is Spinal Tap and the Austin Power Films, Must be something about Americans playing English people and of cause the Carry-on’s, can’t think of too many films that’s had me in stitches, More of a TV comedy guy.

Barry

I really didn't like Spinal Tap. Fairly entertaining, but not funny. But anyway.

Definitely Austin Powers, yes. Mike Myers' own stuff tends to appeal, understandably, to the British sense of humour. :)

Well, Animal house, the Airplane movies, Bill & Ted movies, Monty Pythons Holy grail & Life of Brian, and some other stuff I can't recall right now!

A vote for "Life of Brian" from me. Has be laughing out loud every time. Austin Powers is pretty great too as is about a million other films.

(Interesting how there's not a single good film out there that's come from a sitcom background. Pretty much everything I can think of has been mediocre at best)

I do love the Steptoe films though...

My favourite comedy films is all the spoof films (I have an immature sense of humour obviously haha). Airplane!, Hot Shots Part Deux and of course the Naked Gun films are the few films which I can watch over and over again.

There's Steptoe films? Wow, glad I've never had to sit through them, the programme was bad enough.

:O

:(

(Interesting how there's not a single good film out there that's come from a sitcom background. Pretty much everything I can think of has been mediocre at best)

Mark, agree that most sitcom-films are crap (did you see the Rising Damp film on TV at the weekend - shocking), but I like the Porridge and Likely Lads movies - not classic movies by any means but definitely worth watching as they are both more than retreads of the TV series.

Ah yes, definitely agree with you there about the Porridge movie. That's very good.

As for the Rising Damp movie, I really don't think it's *that* bad... But it is one of those shows which really benefits from the studio and the audience laughter. Just doesn't quite work otherwise. (Just to back that point up, there are some bits in it which are actually IN the TV show, and are very funny - but just fall completely flat in the movie.)

Oh, and another movie I love is Yellowbeard. Brilliant.

Ooh, and Graham Chapman's "The Odd Job". Very funny also. :)

Quote: Thomps74 @ August 21, 2006, 3:05 PM

My all time favourites include the Monty Python films, Airplane, The Producers, Bananas and The Jerk.

Funniest film I've seen in recent years would have to be Anchorman. "I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Mmm, mmm, mmm. Here it goes down, down to my belly..."

Anchorman is a quality film. I think it gets better each time I watch it.

"When in Rome"

Does The Big Lebowski count?

Mark, agree that most sitcom-films are crap (did you see the Rising Damp film on TV at the weekend - shocking), but I like the Porridge and Likely Lads movies - not classic movies by any means but definitely worth watching as they are both more than retreads of the TV series.

Yeah I saw Rising Damp at the weekend - really bad. I did like the slightly camp theme tune they laid over it though.

Agreed about Porridge and the Likely Lads - I think the reason they were ok is because, like you say, they didn't really stray from what we know.