Leonard Rossiter Page 2

Reggie Perrin was a bit like a comedy soap.

Wasn't it one of the first sitcoms that actually had a continuous story? You had to watch them all in order for it to make sense.

Ah it was Joan Collins was it? I always get her and Liz Taylor mixed up!

It was written as a novel first.

David, I think so yes. Wasn't really around back then though, so don't quote me on that. :)

Puffinpol, also true.

It was later adapted by John Stonehouse MP, who had the life imitating art rights.

Not just John Stonehouse.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/09/22/nperrin122.xml

My ex-next door neighbour tried it too.

He and his wife got a couple of years inside.

Laughing out loud

Legend, preferred him in Rising Damp to Reginald Perrin, but loved the two of them.

And Rising Damp series 1, episode 1 will be starting on ITV3 in 10 minutes (19:30). That's channel 10 if you've got Freeview. :)

i like both.

what was reggies boss called? was it cj?

...i didn't get were i am today by not knowing my own name.

:D

Yes, CJ.

Smashing!

Super!

I loved Leonard - he looked like my Dad and was a superb comic actor.

Reggie Perrin is my favourite British sitcom of all time, along with The Office.

It’s actually very dark, and sad at times (just look at the opening music), but it has a lot of heart. I guess that’s why I love it.

Leonard Rossiter is probably one of the best British sitcom actors. I recently bought a book he wrote called “Lowest form of wit - the definitive guide to sarcasm”. I’ve started reading it, it’s very good actually.

“I didn't get where I am today selling ice creams tasting of bookends, pumice stone, and West Germany.“

hahaha :D :D

"Neither Mrs CJ, nor I, got where we are today by having hanky-panky, willy-nilly, with our secretaries."

I'm with you Keegs - one of the best comedies I've seen, but with such a sad thread through. The same with The Office? Loneliness and desperation?

Have you read the books? They are very good. I saw the TV first, then read them. When I read them I just imagine the characters on TV, but there is more to it, more storyline and detail. Do give them a go if you can, if you haven't already.

I am old enough to remember watching it first time round. After the first episode we weren't sure - it was different from anything else at the time. By the second we were hooked. I've really enjoyed watching it with my children - it has a wide appeal, it's rich in such varying ways.