Leonard Rossiter

I can't believe there's not been a thread about him already, but I couldn't let today - the 23rd anniversary of his death - pass without mention. IMO, Leonard Rossiter was one of the best 'straight' comedy actors we've seen, most famous of course for bringing to life both Reggie Perrin and Rigsby in Rising Damp; two excellent shows in their own right. And of course not forgetting his excellent cameo as an escaped convict in one of Steptoe and Son's best episodes.

I think I'll put some Rising Damp on in a bit, but come on, show the love! :)

I did love Reggie but must admit I wasn't a fan of Rising Damp.

However overall I reckon he was a brilliant comedy actor.

RD grew on me. I was a bit "meh" about it at first, but I kept catching more of it on clip shows, repeats, and yes, it rather grew on me. :)

At the time I just felt it was an ITV comedy!

One of my favourite ever sitcom actors. An absolute perfectionist and apparently a tough cookie to work with, but he left us with some great comedy moments. Even the adverts he did were good. :D

I honestly don't understand how someone could prefer 'Perrin' over 'Rising Damp'. Rigsby was one of the greatest comedy characters of all time, and Leonard Rossiter's performance in the series was incredible.

Vienna! :D

outstanding talent...........plus Rising Damp was a quality ITV sitcom!....not many of them around................Reggie Perrin was an outstanding performance......."Perrin here,yes, Perrin- 4th floor,put me thro' to 24 hour maintainence would you?......what's that?..gone home"........then of course when he trys again the next morning 24 hour maintainence have not arrived yet1

Smashing! Super!

Quote: catskillz @ October 6, 2007, 1:18 AM

I honestly don't understand how someone could prefer 'Perrin' over 'Rising Damp'. Rigsby was one of the greatest comedy characters of all time, and Leonard Rossiter's performance in the series was incredible.

I would go completely the other way.

The first 2 series of Perrin are absolutely amazing and took sitcom forwards massively. It was also hugely innovative and had some great supporting characters.

Rising Damp is a good show as well but the scripts weren't always great and it suffered when Frances De La Tour and Richard Beckinsale were absent.

Who remembers him in sitcom called 'Trippers Day'about a manager of a supermarket.When he died Bruce Forsyth took over has the manager & the sitcom & it was then called 'Slinger's Day'.Does anyone remember?

I've only seen the first couple of episodes of Reggie Perrin, but wasn't impressed.

Rising Damp, however, is one of my favourite sitcoms. His appearance in Steptoe and Son was also an example of excellent comic acting.

He also did some very funny adverts for Cinzano (I think) with Liz Taylor (I think).

I think it was Joan Collins in those Cinzano adverts?

Quote: buzzy @ October 6, 2007, 6:50 PM

Who remembers him in sitcom called 'Trippers Day'about a manager of a supermarket.When he died Bruce Forsyth took over has the manager & the sitcom & it was then called 'Slinger's Day'.Does anyone remember?

Have tried to erase them from my mind...

Quote: Winterlight @ October 6, 2007, 7:25 PM

I've only seen the first couple of episodes of Reggie Perrin, but wasn't impressed.

Rising Damp, however, is one of my favourite sitcoms. His appearance in Steptoe and Son was also an example of excellent comic acting.

He also did some very funny adverts for Cinzano (I think) with Liz Taylor (I think).

Joan Collins rather than Liz. There was always a running joke that they were more popular and funny than the programmes either side. :D

Quote: Winterlight @ October 6, 2007, 7:25 PM

It's one of those shows that you have to give time to settle in. Stick with it though, and it'll suck you in completely. It's a masterwork. :)