Leonard Rossiter Page 5

My problem with Lee Mack is that he's too hammy an actor.

I'd like to see him act in something that wasn't 90% jokes/oneliners.

He has had moments in Not Going Out of you know, proper emotions and that. :)

I want to see moooore.

Quote: zooo @ October 10 2008, 10:50 PM BST

Oooh, he does a bit!

Check out his appearance on this week's Al Murray's Happy Hour. Uncanny. Seriously, identical.

Also, Lee Mack doesn't look weasily enough.

Aw. How sweet.

Quote: Aaron @ October 5 2007, 11:36 PM BST

I can't believe there's not been a thread about him already, but I couldn't let today - the 23rd anniversary of his death - pass without mention. IMO, Leonard Rossiter was one of the best 'straight' comedy actors we've seen, most famous of course for bringing to life both Reggie Perrin and Rigsby in Rising Damp; two excellent shows in their own right. And of course not forgetting his excellent cameo as an escaped convict in one of Steptoe and Son's best episodes.

I think I'll put some Rising Damp on in a bit, but come on, show the love! :)

Have to agree, Leonard is a great actor.
From Billy Liar and film work to the great Rigsby in Rising Damp. Classic stuff!

MYyyyyyyyyyy God!

Rising Damp forum - www.risingdamp.megabb.com

We all remember Rossiter for the classic stuff (Rising Damp, Reginald Perrin and of course his classic acting in that classic episode of Steptoe), but I've just watched the first episode of his quite rightly forgotten sitcom Tripper's Day on YouTube. His performance is fine, but the quality of the script was just awful.

Quote: buzzy @ October 6 2007, 7:50 PM BST

Who remembers him in sitcom called 'Trippers Day'about a manager of a supermarket.When he died Bruce Forsyth took over has the manager & the sitcom & it was then called 'Slinger's Day'.Does anyone remember?

I believe it was showing when he died, but IMDb doesn't give it a good writeup. I think I prefer Perrin to Rigsby but also liked Leonard in that Steptoe episode The Desperate Hours.

Quote: Ben @ October 6 2007, 8:25 PM BST

I've only seen the first couple of episodes of Reggie Perrin, but wasn't impressed.

Rising Damp, however, is one of my favourite sitcoms. His appearance in Steptoe and Son was also an example of excellent comic acting.

He also did some very funny adverts for Cinzano (I think) with Liz Taylor (I think).

I agree with this for the most part, Rising Damp was excellent, a stone cold ATG in my opinion. I never really loved Reggie Perrin, however. I found it just OK.

Good mention of Rossiter's appearance on Steptoe. He was indeed a fantastic comic actor.

Quote: Jack Massey @ April 2 2009, 6:40 PM BST

We all remember Rossiter for the classic stuff (Rising Damp, Reginald Perrin and of course his classic acting in that classic episode of Steptoe), but I've just watched the first episode of his quite rightly forgotten sitcom Tripper's Day on YouTube. His performance is fine, but the quality of the script was just awful.

I'm not too surprised you didn't enjoy it, but I thought it was pretty good. Not excellent, but pretty good - although I've seen the whole series rather than just one episode, so perhaps have the advantage of a more balanced overview.

Quite frankly, I'm disgusted that you think any sitcom is "rightly forgotten". (Except Spaced. ;))

Tripper's Day was pretty bad, from memory. If I recall, though, worse was to follow when Bruce Forsyth took over the role. Springer's Day, was it?

Slinger's Day. Not seen any of that yet.

There was a story when Leonard Rossiter had a meeting with Jimmy Perry & David Croft at the BBC one day about taking the lead role in It Ain't Half Hot Mum. Both Jimmy & David commented how abrupt and rude they thought Leonard was, sometimes criticising their script to their faces.

Both men have commented that although they rated Leonard very highly as an actor, they had no interest in giving him the role.

Was he in 2001: A Space Oddesey ?
Or am I going completely mad?
If he was , it was certainly one of his least funny roles.

Quote: Lazzard @ July 28 2009, 9:19 PM BST

Was he in 2001: A Space Oddesey ?

Yes.