Leonard Rossiter Page 6

Quote: Aaron @ May 13 2009, 2:35 PM BST

Slinger's Day. Not seen any of that yet.

It was God-awful. Just imagine Brucie trying to act in a sitcom? OK, got that image in your mind? Well, it was even worse than that.

(It's only taken Slinger's Day and Dr Sinha to break my few days' cold turkey from the BCG.)

I think Leonard Rissiter was great in Rising Damp. Am I right in thinking that he was in a couple of Steptoe and Son episodes too?

Quote: John M @ August 1 2009, 4:13 PM BST

I think Leonard Rissiter was great in Rising Damp. Am I right in thinking that he was in a couple of Steptoe and Son episodes too?

One, The Desperate Hours - a stone cold classic.

I just saw the clip of him with Morecambe and Wise doing The Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy on You Tube. Hysterical. Can't decide who has the best legs though. :)

Quote: Jacob Loves Comedy @ July 28 2009, 8:27 PM BST

There was a story when Leonard Rossiter had a meeting with Jimmy Perry & David Croft at the BBC one day about taking the lead role in It Ain't Half Hot Mum. Both Jimmy & David commented how abrupt and rude they thought Leonard was, sometimes criticising their script to their faces.

Both men have commented that although they rated Leonard very highly as an actor, they had no interest in giving him the role.

I'm curious to know what was considered to be the lead role in It Ain't Half Hot Mum .. Mum? :-) Seriously though, Leonard Rossiter was a notoriously difficult actor to work with - not a method actor but one who expected everyone else in the cast to give 110% like himself.

The lead role was Michael Bates Rangi Ram, but the role Rossiter was considered for was that of Seargent Major Williams.
If he was fussy, then why on earth did he agree to appear in Tripper's Day?

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 13 2009, 10:22 PM BST

The lead role was Michael Bates Rangi Ram, but the role Rossiter was considered for was that of Seargent Major Williams.

Never let a bit of fun spoil the facts eh Jack?

I can't believe there is a single actor in the business who did not take a role for the money? Rossiter's work is littered with rubbish but the best of his work is magnificent. Not to everyone's taste I am sure.

Quote: Griff @ August 13 2009, 10:40 PM BST

Yes thanks although clearly no vast improvement as I am still on here ;)

Well at least we are all still alive unlike Mr Rossiter (<--- keeping us on topic to avoid our posts being blanked ;-)

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 13 2009, 10:22 PM BST

It wasn't a triumph of British sitcom, but it wasn't that bad!

Oh it was. That Laurel and Hardy joke over and over again. The off colour jokes towards that black woman. Predictable humour. It was a shocker.

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 13 2009, 10:45 PM BST

Oh it was. That Laurel and Hardy joke over and over again. The off colour jokes towards that black woman. Predictable humour. It was a shocker.

Don't recall the Laurel and Hardy joke? Wisecracks about colour are always hilarious.

Probably.

Quote: Aaron @ August 13 2009, 10:47 PM BST

Don't recall the Laurel and Hardy joke? Wisecracks about colour are always hilarious.

Probably.

Have you seen Tripper's Day at all Aaron. There is a character in it called Laurel and one called Hardie and there are plenty of gags about this. And for a terrible off colour joke, what gets a delighted response from the studio audience, check this YouTube video out from an episode of it on 0:17- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtyRxupLOgo

If you have seen it and like it, then I'm worried about your sitcom taste, liking that and disliking The Other One which in my opinion is a near classic.