Obscure sitcom facts Page 9

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 10th June 2019, 12:53 AM

How the flip have I never heard of this. I've just been reading the description and as a gigantic fan of 'orrible this looks like something I have to check out. Maybe Kanye even checked out a bit of 'orrible before signing up :D

The idea of an A-lister watching 'Orrible is a very interesting thought!

But yeah, he makes a very brief appearance, only one line in fact, which you can see at the 1:35:27 mark here. If you enjoyed 'Orrible I expect you'll find a lot to enjoy in Top Buzzer, it's got a great cast.

Quote: jsg @ 10th June 2019, 12:12 AM

Kanye West made an appearance in the final episode of the 2004 Johnny Vaughan sitcom Top Buzzer.

At first I thought this was someone on Wikipedia taking the piss but I got the DVD and can confirm he's in it. From what I can tell it's his only broadcast live action sitcom role, the closest being appearances in the animated American sitcom The Cleveland Show and the American comedy-drama Entourage, as well as his non-TX sitcom pilot for HBO.

I'm not sure if you're supposed to be impressed or depressed by this.

I think this is the generation gap in action.

Top Buzzer is on Amazon second hand for £40+ but it's only 50p on CEX so have just ordered it and it should arrive before Friday. Loved the characters and humour in 'orrible.

Seinfeld: the opening music is (slightly) different in every episode - and that's a whole lot of episodes!

I Love Lucy: if you've ever wondered why Lucy, Desi, Ethel and Fred spent so much time either smoking or holding a cigarette, it's because the show was sponsored by tobacco giant Philip Morris.

The Simpsons: if you ever see a Simpsons script, you won't find Homer saying "D'oh!". In the scripts, it's "annoyed grunt".

The Flintstones: daughter Pebbles was originally written as a boy until it was suggested that a sex change would facilitate the marketing of Pebbles dolls to an adoring public. It was a good idea: when Pebbles became a girl and the dolls went on the market, they made $3 million in the first two months.

Happy Days: Ron Howard accepted a part in the pilot show in order to avoid the Vietnam draft. It propelled him to stardom and mega riches - and also kept him out of danger. Home of the brave? Not always, apparently, but I would have done exactly the same in his position.

Tom Bennett who played Christopher in Phoneshop and Del boy in the OFAH musical is the son of Colin Bennett.
Who was Tony Harts hapless assistant Mr Bennett

Quote: Rood Eye @ 12th June 2019, 1:32 PM

Happy Days: Ron Howard accepted a part in the pilot show in order to avoid the Vietnam draft. It propelled him to stardom and mega riches - and also kept him out of danger. Home of the brave? Not always, apparently, but I would have done exactly the same in his position.

What accepted the lead role (as it was then) in a sitcom? Sounds a no-brainer to me.

Did you write all these, Rood? Just reads like copy.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 13th June 2019, 4:55 AM

Did you write all these, Rood? Just reads like copy.

You're not seriously asking whether or not I'm the only person in the world who has ever published the above sitcom facts?

No, I wish I were that well-informed and that well-connected with showbiz legends but I have to admit that every fact above is in the public domain. However, the post was written by my good self and I believe it is substantially original.

Having said that, George Harrison believed the same to be true of "My Sweet Lord". Laughing out loud

It's a compliment in a way. Just don't go for my jobs. ;)

On a similar theme to Ron Howard... I have and still do research my family history through the various ancestry sites.

My grandad (born 1896) was a solicitors clerk - or apprentice solicitor in 1914
Suddenly, he was then a coal miner.
Strange occupation change I thought, then it dawned on me.
Miners or mining workers were a reserved occupation during that war.

I can't prove it but I suspect that every student from Mind Your Langue night class was at one time or another shot , protected or arrested by the Sweeny and or the Professionals.

Just like every actor was once an extra in The Bill.

Beaky I bet you use to live on the Jasmine Allen Estate .

Bob Monkhouse sang the theme tune to You Rang M'lord

Quote: Lost Boys @ 21st July 2019, 10:34 PM

Bob Monkhouse sang the theme tune to You Rang M'lord

Well, I never knew that!

Here it is - and you can recognise Bob's voice, once you've been told it's him!