Obscure sitcom facts Page 4

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 22nd June 2017, 11:28 PM

Obscure Sitcom Fact? Anthony Aloysius St. John Hancock was his "full" character name. (Born Anthony John Hancock), just as Sid's was Sidney Balmoral James.

Just to complete the set............................

William Montmorency Beaumont Kerr (spinster of this parish)

................I had forgotten about Bill's full name until this morning when it came to me - I may be wrong here but I think it was only used once and may have been in "Cyrano de Hancock" ? Long time since I listened to it so need to dig my cassettes out.

In the One Foot In The Grave episode "Who Will Buy", Jimmy Jewel (Nearest and Dearest) plays a blind pensioner. At the end of the episode, there is a shot of a parcel left outside the door of the pensioners ground floor flat. The name on the parcel is "Mr A Warriss".
Jimmy Jewel was one half of the music hall double act "Jewel and Warriss"

A random obscure fact and a nice nod to Jewel's comedy partner.

Quote: Lost Boys @ 17th July 2018, 7:35 PM

The name on the parcel is "Mr A Warriss".

Are you sure the initial was "A"?

Jimmy Jewel's partner was Ben Warriss.

I actually paused the screen and took a quick snapshot and it is definitely an A Warriss. I thought it strange as well what with his comedy partner being Ben Warriss.
Makes the obscure fact even more obscure.....

You're absolutely right, Lost Boys.

I've just checked the episode myself and the parcel is indeed addressed to "A.Warriss,"

How very strange!

Quote: Rood Eye @ 17th July 2018, 8:22 PM

the parcel is indeed addressed to "A.Warriss,"

After further research, I can perhaps throw a little light on this mystery.

During the episode, the blind man is referred to by name: his name is Albert.

Clearly, therefore, the parcel had to be addressed to Mr A (somebody).

They probably chose Warriss, as Lost Boys suggests, as an affectionate nod to Ben.

Ah, of course. Albert. I'd got so engrossed in the parcel bit I'd forgotten the characters name originally.

:D

That's a very good spot. I must re-watch the series soon, so looking forward to seeing that!

"The Army Game" was an instant hit on British television.

Shortly after the show's first airing, the cast and producers were discussing the show's success and arranging a celebratory party. Somebody said that what the show really needed was a catchphrase, A few were suggested, but none met with universal approval.

The discussion returned to the subject of the forthcoming party and Bernard Breslaw asked, "Can we bring girls?"

"Of course you can bring girls!" said somebody rather sharply.

"Well, I only asked." mumbled Breslaw, somewhat abashed.

"That's it! That's the catchphrase!" shouted somebody else.

"What is?" asked Breslaw, " 'Can we bring girls?' "?

Quote: Chappers @ 25th June 2017, 4:39 PM

That is NOT what I'd call an obscure fact. Quite well known and documented.

Perhaps amongst you lot but your average Joe seems to either not care or not realise, or both!

In The Young Ones, there was a 5th housemate that never spoke but was often seen.
She usually appeared sat under a table or in a dark corner.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 5th August 2018, 1:53 PM

In The Young Ones, there was a 5th housemate that never spoke but was often seen.

Appeared under a table or in a dark corner? Is that not a contradiction?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 5th August 2018, 1:53 PM

That was the props master.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/ben-elton-knew-nothing-about-the-young-ones-creepy-fifth-housemate-2016-6 There was talk of a second Happy families, but the budget went to Red Dwarf. I've no idea how it could have continued, as the plot is so perfectly tied up at the end. Blessing in disguise?

Can't believe I never noticed that in The Young Ones. It's freaked me out a bit because of The Ring similarities and don't think I'll be able to watch it at night anymore :D That's a great reply from Geoff Posner and in interviews he seems like a nice guy. I'm guessing it was someone from the crew donning one of Neil's wigs as I doubt they would have paid an actor to do it.