Obscure sitcom facts Page 10

The character of Fonzie in Happy Days is based on me several years ago.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 22nd July 2019, 4:27 PM

I can see the resemblance.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 27th September 2018, 3:50 PM

In Friends, Ross is 29 in three consecutive series.

Wasn't a big Friends watcher but I'll throw in May have been a running joke of his, constantly 29 not wanting to admit to being over 30 through vanity or something. Wasn't he a bit of a worrier with a hypochondria streak, or am I imagining that? And didn't he say everything so dryly/woodenly you wouldn't know if he was joking or not?

Quote: Wheel @ 4th June 2019, 3:26 PM

The lift voice that is heard in the opening credits of Are You Being Served is that of Stephanie Gathercole, who plays Rumbold's secretary in series 1 and 2

In the theme tune you mean? That should've upped her royalties a bit. I think quite a few sitcoms have employed one of the actors to sing the theme tune, would be interesting to find out how many and which ones.

On a similar theme to the Ross age thing I believe Frankie Howerd was so concerned he was becoming too old to get roles in the 60s that he took five years off his age when asked by anyone.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 27th September 2018, 3:50 PM

In Friends, Ross is 29 in three consecutive series.

Billy Bunter was the same age for 53 years. And I should know...

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 23rd July 2019, 10:26 AM

Billy Bunter was the same age for 53 years. And I should know...

'Yarooh!', he ejaculated...................

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 23rd July 2019, 10:34 AM

'Yarooh!', he ejaculated...................

It's classic William / Jennings syndrome. The interesting thing about Adrian Mole was that the diary was set in real time.
'Gosh!' William ejaculated in despair.

I see The Rebel is having a re-run on Gold.
Are you watching the letterbox for a fat cheque dropping through Beaky?

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 22nd July 2019, 4:27 PM

Did you live with that Father Brown chap as well?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 25th July 2019, 9:28 PM

I see The Rebel is having a re-run on Gold.
Are you watching the letterbox for a fat cheque dropping through Beaky?

Are you sure, Stephen? I was told recently that they had no plans for a linear re-run, but that it can be seen on Sky. Not another penny for me, sadly!

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 26th July 2019, 8:39 AM

Did you live with that Father Brown chap as well?

Wrong detective priest surely?

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 26th July 2019, 3:50 PM

Wrong detective priest surely?

(Googles) Okay, Tom Bosley played Father Dowling. Still it had murders in it, that was the main thing.

Quote: beaky @ 26th July 2019, 2:35 PM

Are you sure, Stephen? I was told recently that they had no plans for a linear re-run, but that it can be seen on Sky. Not another penny for me, sadly!

Maybe that is what I saw. There was a clip from The Rebel in with others.
I presumed it was a re-run.
But no payment or royalties for the writer, that's terrible.

Yes, no repeat run that I can see - alas. Probably is available from UKTV Play though.

Not many people get rich writing sitcoms!

Just scanned through some of these and there are some fascinating ones here, this is a good thread. Can only think of a couple, not sure how obscure they are but anyway:
Jimmy Edwards of Whack O and Michael Bentine of The Goon Show were fellow Cambridge professors. Bentine was an expert swordsman among other things and Edwards was a decorated RAF pilot who was shot down during Operation Market Garden, which incidentally has its 75th anniversary in a few weeks.

The writer of Some Mothers Do Ave Em was also in the RAF and Frank Spencer was based on himself. He was so nervous a character that he took up an early form of self help using positive thinking mantras to get him through the day. He gave Frank the same mantra to say.

Erm...less obscure but the male Wedding Guest who upset Fawlty in The Wedding Party in FT played one of Reggie's colleagues in The Fall & Rise of Reginald Perrin. I think it was the 'super' one but I could be wrong. It's time I watched it again really.