Obscure sitcom facts Page 14

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 6th October 2019, 3:13 PM

Totally credible (Porridge).

Nobody swears and Fletcher has escaped at least twice!

They naffing do.

Best nearly swearing is fecking Father Ted (although I think they nicked it from Brendan Behan's Borstal Boy)

In the TV Hitch Hiker's..., Zaphod's second head is a fake. Yes, I know, the effect is so realistic that I too was fooled for years, and stunned by the revelation at https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5432/hitchhikers_guide_usa/ - I just assumed Mark was a method actor and grew a new head for the part, and then tore it off again. One learns a new thing every day.
Also, in The Young Ones, the entire Balowski family is played by one actor, Alexei Sayle. They tried to make him look radically different, but eagle-eyed viewers may see some similarity.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 6th October 2019, 4:51 PM

Nobody swears and Fletcher has escaped at least twice!

Yeah but you take my point. It has a basis in reality. which makes it work. I never f**king swear either.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 6th October 2019, 3:06 PM

To train a real rat to do that.................now that would have been clever.

Just get a lab rat, inject a small amount of tranquilizer, put it in the biscuit tin. Done. Though the fake rat didn't look too fake at all, back in the day on an old TV. It's only now because of our near-constant exposure to modern rodent puppetry technology developments that Basil the rat looks a bit phony.

Quote: Kenneth @ 9th October 2019, 12:19 PM

Basil the rat looks a bit phony.

A bit? I am a bit into the Spice Girls.

Quote: beaky @ 6th October 2019, 12:59 PM

It's all right, the Civil List will more than cover the expense.

If you're going to spout republican nonsense, at least keep it up to date! The Civil List was abolished in 2012.

Quote: lofthouse @ 10th April 2016, 10:17 PM

Paul Merton is in an episode of The Young Ones.

So is everyone else.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 11th April 2016, 5:00 PM

I've just been reading about David Rappaport who was in a few episodes of young ones... I was about the same age as Kevin when I first saw Time Bandits and loved him in that.

He did the Hell scene and I hated him in that.

Quote: Aaron @ 11th October 2019, 11:07 PM

If you're going to spout republican nonsense, at least keep it up to date! The Civil List was abolished in 2012.

Cheeky nit, Aaron! It's called the Sovereign Grant now and still paid by the government, so we still support a load of parasites.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 26th October 2019, 1:39 PM

So is everyone else.

He did the Hell scene and I hated him in that.

I didn't like that scene either especially when he punches him in the face causing a bloody nose. Probably the only scene in the whole series I'm not keen on.

In the words of Jimmy Savile, snap.
I'm amazed no one else has ever commented on it. Still gets me reaching for Fast Forward.

Quote: beaky @ 26th October 2019, 2:16 PM

Cheeky nit, Aaron! It's called the Sovereign Grant now and still paid by the government, so we still support a load of parasites.

Actually it's a small percentage of the income from the Crown Estate, so they are subsidising us.