Obscure sitcom facts Page 5

In The Young Ones, Vyvyan is spelt that way cos Lise Mayer lived in Vyvyan Terrace in Bristol as a student.
I used to say that in pubs to break the ice. No one goes to the pub with me.

your relationships are on the rocks,then?

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 10th August 2018, 11:52 AM

In The Young Ones, Vyvyan is spelt like that way cos Lise Mayer lived in Vyvyan Terrace in Bristol as a student.
I used to say that in pubs to break the ice. No one goes to the pub with me.

Never knew that and always thought Vyvyan is the male way of spelling it like Jamie/Jaime or Terry/Terri.

I had a friend once.
Fawlty Towers' director Bob Spiers also directed Spiceworld. Wow - greatest, most lavishly-praised, influential show in the history of broadcasting - AND Fawlty Towers.

Tony Hancock had a car crash in 1961 and thereafter, coincidentally or otherwise, couldn't summon his usual enthusiasm when it came to recording his sitcom. He said his memory had failed and he was unable to learn lines. The BBC were reluctant to lose a star like Tony and so they gave him cue cards for the next recording session, which happened to be "The Blood Donor".

Performing with cue cards is, of course, an absolute doddle compared with having to learn a 30-minute script and Tony decided there was no sense in making life difficult for himself when it was so easy to make it easy. Accordingly, he never learnt another sitcom script, preferring instead to read his lines from cue cards.

If you look at any Hancock sitcom episode from "The Blood Donor" onwards, you'll occasionally see him glancing towards the cue cards before delivering lines.

Milton Johns, who played Dan Danby, the new neighbour in Series 3 Episode 3 of Ever Decreasing Circles ("What's everybody's second favourite jam?"), is the racecourse announcer at Plumpton (a task he has also performed admirably at Lingfield & Windsor).

The taxi driver in the opening credits of "Fresh Prince" is the legendary musician/producer Quincy Jones.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 11th August 2018, 1:59 PM

The taxi driver in the opening credits of "Fresh Prince" is the legendary musician/producer Quincy Jones.

So it is! I knew he was a consultant on the show but never noticed that.

In the episode where Will's dad turns up and leaves again making Will upset you can hear Hillary crying off the set because of how powerful his performance is when Uncle Phil embraces him. I watched a few episodes last night. Love the one where they go camping.

Quincy Jones arranged and conducted piece "What The World Needs Now" in epic closure of "Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice"
with Natalie Wood which is Ukrainian by nationality. Everything is obscure here and has nothing to do with sitcoms.

Penelope Keith, a much-beloved sitcom star, played a nurse in "Carry On Doctor".

If you can't remember seeing her in that film, don't go rushing off to Specsavers: all her scenes ended up on the cutting room floor.

"Seinfeld" ran for nine seasons and 180 episodes. Every single episode includes an image of Superman . . . somewhere!

In episode 4 of series 2 of Gavin and Stacey - there is a joke

It's not easy to spot but they did sneak one in

Quote: lofthouse @ 5th September 2018, 8:36 PM

In episode 4 of series 2 of Gavin and Stacey - there is a joke

It's not easy to spot but they did sneak one in

Laughing out loud

There was a Smith and Jones mock trailer for Carla Lane's next sitcom: 'The series promises pathos, drama and a joke in episode four.'