Obscure sitcom facts Page 7

In Porridge, although nicknamed Lukewarm, Christopher Biggins' character was actually called Lewis - mentioned very briefly in the 'Just Desserts' episode.

As soon as "Seinfeld" became popular, extras were no longer paid to sit in the background at Monk's Cafe while the main characters chatted. Instead, every empty seat for which an extra was needed would be auctioned off to the highest bidder among the interested extras. The top right of the shot was the most popular location. There was never a shortage of eager bidders and all the money raised went to charity.

Mrs Tishell, the pharmacist in Doc Martin, is the sister of Simon Cadell of Hi-de-Hi fame.

In which iconic TV series were Bryan Cranston, Anna Gunn and Bob Odenkirk?

Well, they played Walter White, Skyler White and Saul Goodman in "Breaking Bad".

For extra points, however, more than two decades earlier they all appeared in (different episodes of) "Seinfeld".

While filming a particularly funny scene, it's very common for one actor or another to burst out laughing. I don't know what the world record is when it comes to being unable to keep a straight face but the scene in "The Office" in which David Brent gives Tim his appraisal took 74 takes.

In "Friends", Ross's birthday apparently occurs on three different dates.

In series 1, on a day which we know from dialogue to be October 20, he says his birthday was seven months ago which would place it around March 20th.

In series 4 he says his birthday is in December.

In series 9, he says his birthday is on October 18th.

Birthday cards must never be off the mantlepiece.

Matt Groening (creator of "The Simpsons") originally intended Krusty the Clown to be Homer's secret identity.

That's why they look so similar.

In 1952, when Lucille Ball was pregnant both in real life and in her iconic sitcom "I Love Lucy", producers forbade the use of the word 'pregnant' in the show as it was a taboo word on American television. Instead, they used the word 'expecting'.

Also, while we're talking about Lucy, she wasn't a natural redhead. Her natural hair colour was brown. Upon entering showbiz, she dyed her hair blonde and later red.

There is, I think, a belief throughout the USA that redhead women have a talent for comedy. If so, that belief most surely derives from the very first bottle of red dye that went on Lucy's head.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 30th September 2018, 8:53 PM

In the "Bottom" episode entitled "Burglary", the script calls for Richie to fall through a ceiling.

This dangerous stunt was not performed by Rick but by a stunt double.

The stunt double was Ade.

I can't remember the scene where Richie falls through a ceiling but I think Burglary is the same episode where Eddie falls through the glass roof and ended up with a severe gash in his head that can be clearly seen. I could be wrong and it could be a popular myth but I heard on the school playground that the cut was real.

I would be surprised if actors are still allowed to do their own stunts like that and it has to be done by a professional stunt man. Like Lee Majors.

I think you are probably right, Tarby.

I might be inadvertently referencing another episode, or another actor, or another sitcom.

I've removed the post pending further research. :)

Quote: Rood Eye @ 1st October 2018, 6:47 PM

I think you are probably right, Tarby.

I might be inadvertently referencing another episode, or another actor, or another sitcom.

I've removed the post pending further research. :)

Ah no need to edit it out and I'm not even 100% sure myself :) If it's true and was caused by a shard of glass Ade is lucky he wasn't more seriously injured. If he had landed on a shard that pierced his chest he could have been a goner. Makes you wonder just what they can do these days and what is banned by H&S. Fawlty Towers was very physical with the real punches and slaps so I doubt they would be able to do that now.

There are many allusions on their dangerous actor past (Mayall plus Edmondson) in their future stage work. I.e. it's foolishness and after 1998 - tragic as somehow connected to Rik's accident.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 1st October 2018, 12:33 AM

In 1952, when Lucille Ball was pregnant both in real life and in her iconic sitcom "I Love Lucy", producers forbade the use of the word 'pregnant' in the show as it was a taboo word on American television. Instead, they used the word 'expecting'.

Are you sure? I always remember that women were "expecting" and maybe "pregnant" didn't become common parlance until the 1970s.

Quote: Chappers @ 1st October 2018, 8:24 PM

Are you sure? I always remember that women were "expecting" and maybe "pregnant" didn't become common parlance until the 1970s.

You seem to be saying exactly what I said - that women were generally said to be "expecting" in the early days of television and were not usually described as "pregnant" until much later in TV history.

In fact, many TV sponsors and TV producers were doubtful as to whether or not a pregnant woman (or even a non-pregnant actress portraying a pregnant woman) could be shown on television in those early days without the entire fabric of American society collapsing in a heap.

The Biow Advertising Company, which handled the TV sponsorship deals for Philip Morris (who sponsored the show), told Desi Arnaz point blank, "You cannot show a pregnant woman on television."

In the event, the public weren't quite as horrified as had been feared and the arrival of Lucy's screen-baby drew an audience of 44 million.