Still Open All Hours - Series 1 Page 5

I N C R E D I B L E !!! I love Jason, always have (wish someone would reinstate A Touch of Frost), but this current spinoff comedy "Still Open All Hours" is SO GOSH DARN SILLY, it makes me laugh even when it probably should not. It is mindless in a mindful way and it makes me GIGGLE!

Anyone who thinks it is not grand comedy; does not understand the unsubtle silliness designed to please.

I crave anything UK; but this is the best and we will be saddened if more is not on the way IMMEDIATELY. If you do not have an appreciation for this comedy (and I have already re-watched every one of this series TWICE); then you should have yourself stuck with US and Canadian series which, except for Seinfeld, ALL ROYALLY SUCK!

ADDITION: I just watched episode 6 and if they introduce the boys mother into the programming - I will not watch those episodes; that concept destroys the program. I also did not like episode #5. The rest - ALL GRAND and I intend to keep rewatching them all (5 and 6 are deleted) just in case the writer reads these comments.

Quote: Helen S @ 11th January 2015, 9:27 PM GMT

wish he would do a spinoff on Frost...

"Frost Origins: Frost" ?

It's not hugely funny, but it's a pleasant enough way to pass 29 minutes. It's nice to spot the guest stars: this week Alex Lowe. Why so many anorak and tie combos? Is that de rigeur in Doncaster?

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 11th January 2015, 10:12 PM GMT

It's not hugely funny, but it's a pleasant enough way to pass 29 minutes. It's nice to spot the guest stars: this week Alex Lowe. Why so many anorak and tie combos? Is that de rigeur in Doncaster?

T'north, innit.

And no, Gordon: sadly there are no repeats of any of this series currently scheduled at all.

You could, of course, buy the DVD. Which I'm delighted to point out has the same styling as the original Open All Hours releases, to sit alongside perfectly on your shelf.

(Unless it's alphabetised, like mine.)

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/still_open_all_hours/buy/4267/still_open_all_hours_series_one_dvd/

Just plain silly tonight with a hint of Last of the Summer Wine thrown in, but it passes the time while I wait for me tin bath to warm up for the weekly dunk.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th January 2015, 8:42 PM GMT

Just plain silly tonight with a hint of Last of the Summer Wine thrown in, but it passes the time while I wait for me tin bath to warm up for the weekly dunk.

As a gentleman, do you get the first dunk? Mrs HGT and Master HGT would undoubtedly follow after you've briskly towelled yourself off.

PS: I shall watch SOAH once Mr TBN has finished watching last week's episode of 'The Hotel'

Watching it now, I believe that I am 'developing' a thing for Johnny Vegas. I've liked him since he sold the rights to his wedding pictures to Viz for 50p.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th January 2015, 8:42 PM GMT

Just plain silly tonight with a hint of Last of the Summer Wine

More than a hint, I'd say it's aimlessly merged into a unifit Roy Clarke sitcom and long after any inspiration he had was gone. The script is truly dire imo. If you or me sent that in to WR we wouldn't even get a text back.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 11th January 2015, 9:21 PM GMT

Yes, but I'm not British.

Title of your new sitcom?

Quote: Aaron @ 11th January 2015, 10:21 PM GMT

...the DVD. Which I'm delighted to point out has the same styling as the original Open All Hours releases, to sit alongside perfectly on your shelf

This is indeed great news. I do care about things like matching artwork. By the way, that reminds me I still don't have series 4 of the original show. I hope it's still available.

It's only a tenner for the lot . .

See Amazon product listing

Slightly better for the final episode and I did actually manage to laugh out loud.....once, but otherwise much of the same. Half expected Arkwright to make a ghostly appearance at one point, which would have made a nice touch.

Last ep a rocky ride for me to a very funny sitcom ending, a lot of cringing but laughs did come finally.

Cracking visual comedy finale and a couple of great lines to cut through all that depressingly soapy chitchat. More comedy, less Corrie and it'd be a good sitcom instead of so so.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 25th January 2015, 8:40 PM GMT

Slightly better for the final episode and I did actually manage to laugh out loud.....once, but otherwise much of the same. Half expected Arkwright to make a ghostly appearance at one point, which would have made a nice touch.

This.

I think a 2nd series will probably happen, whether I'd watch it though is a different matter.

Paula Wilcox back to looking gorgeous.