Still Open All Hours - Series 1 Page 3

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great, relaxing, family-friendly entertainment. :)

For staring at moving wallpaper.....yes - ideal on a sleepy Sunday early evening.

I was going to save watching tonight's episode for later, but having read some of the negative comments from this evenings episode I don't think I'll bother.

Quote: Aaron @ 4th January 2015, 8:22 PM GMT

Great, relaxing, family-friendly entertainment. :)

True. But I wish Clarke wouldn't recycle so many classic gags. The don't feel like loving homages...more like Self-plagiarism. The picture of Arkwright Sr. on the wall is homage enough.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 4th January 2015, 8:30 PM GMT

True. But I wish Clarke wouldn't recycle so many classic gags. The don't feel like loving homages...more like Self-plagiarism. The picture of Arkwright Sr. on the wall is homage enough.

I can't say I noticed any, and I doubt regular viewers would have either. Only those who have recently watched the original series, or are die-hard fans who can recite it line-for-line.

Couldn't agree more, Aaron. I thought I'd give it a try tonight and I rather enjoyed it - it did actually have some funny moments. It was nice to see Barry Chuckle have a more speaking role this week.

It seems well suited to Sunday evenings. Still not as good as the original series but I don't think it ever will be - hard to replace a comic genius like Barker.

...I'm increasingly convinced you're on a wind-up, let's create someone who is the comedy devil fan for a laugh..

Quote: G180e @ 4th January 2015, 9:09 PM GMT

It was nice to see Barry Chuckle have a more speaking role this week.

A summation of these forums.

I suppose if you look at it from the point of view that it's a new comedy (which you should) it's quite good but it's just is it necessary and is the story going anywhere different from the original.

Quote: Chappers @ 4th January 2015, 11:28 PM GMT

I suppose if you look at it from the point of view that it's a new comedy (which you should) it's quite good but it's just is it necessary and is the story going anywhere different from the original.

'Going anywhere'? The point with most sitcoms is largely being stuck with one situation, which is what the 'sit' part of sitcom stands for-until written deliberately to end it with a big change.

I'm kind of saying I can see both sides of the argument.

Roy Clarke can write some great stuff and like Last of the Summer Wine he just keeps churning and re-churning stuff out.

Quote: Aaron @ 4th January 2015, 8:33 PM GMT

I can't say I noticed any, and I doubt regular viewers would have either. Only those who have recently watched the original series, or are die-hard fans who can recite it line-for-line.

I think people mean the general conceits and gags are being repackaged rather than being repeated line for line and feel it's a bit of a con. I see their point, after watching the first 10 minutes.

If this doesn't bother you then what I saw wasn't too bad and I'd've stayed with it if it wasn't for that hideously forced laugh track, the real devil in BBC sitcoms now. As soon as I hear it I'm off. Just sick of the Beeb treating us like morons. Angry

A limp, pale copy of the original. Poor RB must be turning in his grave.

Another utterly pointless resurrection by the BBC who seem too afraid of ever putting their more innovative sitcoms on BBC1 but instead play safe with old fashioned retrogressive toot like this, Mrs Browns's Boys, Not Going Out etc. I was never a big fan of the original series but it was of its time and Ronnie Barker could do little wrong. However, I've never bought into the David Jason myth and only ever thought of his Del Boy as an inferior Arthur Daley. His Arkwright persona in SOAH doesn't work. Still, he was good as Frost though.

Did someone just stab me in a kidney or was this just utterly terrible?

I'm now only merely watching to see how bad it's gonna get...

I find it quite refreshing having comedy that is non-cynical, non-dark, non-obscene, but also isn't totally childish, silly and self-indulgently weird.