Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe - Series 5 Page 10

Funny - although saying those sort of shows are lame is a bit of a given (bit like Kay sending up X factor) maybe more deserving targets out there?

"I'm 33 years old but look about 9"

Screenwipe was back on form this week. And no crappy 'Poetry Corner' or whatever it's called! :D

Quote: Martin Holmes @ December 10 2008, 8:38 PM GMT

And no crappy 'Poetry Corner' or whatever it's called! :D

Here here!

Quote: zooo @ November 26 2008, 5:58 PM GMT

Some men and women can just be friends, but... not them. I don't buy it dammit! :)

I think it was Chris Rock who said that for a man a platonic friend is a woman he has not slept with ...yet; and for a woman a platonic friend is a prick in a glass case ...in case of emergency break glass.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ December 10 2008, 8:40 PM GMT

Here here!

I'm always amazed that Aaron lets this sort of thing through, but never mind.

Hadn't even spotted it!

Quote: Timbo @ December 10 2008, 10:34 PM GMT

I think it was Chris Rock who said that for a man a platonic friend is a woman he has not slept with ...yet; and for a woman a platonic friend is a prick in a glass case ...in case of emergency break glass.

I'd still prefer to quote Billy Crystal on this.

He has a weird face.

Haha!

So true.

Pretty weak effort last night (compared to his others). Some VERY long drawn out bits on US shows and also a rather shoehorned in lovefest for the dead Bagpuss man. As someone that grew up with Bagpuss and now has kids that watch Lazy Town, I can tell you Sporticus kicks the fat cat up the arse! Exposed Charlie's "slag it off for the sake of it" approach unfortunately. He should either have toned down the hate of modern stuff (which wouldn't have been funny) or ripped into 1970s shite the same way (without feeling the need to get teary eyed over dead man).

Edited by Aaron.

Quote: Pete @ December 17 2008, 1:46 PM GMT

Pretty weak effort last night (compared to his others) Some VERY long drawn out bits on US shows and also a rather shoehorned in lovefest for the dead bagpuss man. As someone that grew up with bagpuss and now has kids that watch Lazy Town I can tell you Sporticus kicks the fat cat up the arse! Exposed Charlies "slag it off for the sake of it" approach unfortunaltey. He should either have toned down the hate of modern stuff (which wouldnt have been funny) or ripped into 70's shite the same way (without feeling the need to get teary eyed over dead man)

Lazy Town is shit though. Awful, terrible shit. Bagpuss was not shit.

And Brooker does 'big up' modern stuff from time to time. I can recall him lauding Deadwood, The Wire and Doctor Who on Screenwipe.

Lazy Town is superb! Kids love it, job done.

Quote: Pete @ December 17 2008, 1:57 PM GMT

Lazy Town is superb! Kids love it, job done.

Kids are idiots. I used to love Why Don't You, doesn't mean it wasn't sctually shit.

You need to hang around more intelligent children!

Lazy Town is a success in most categories that it set out to be and that parents and children want it to be. Whether it's production values, appeal to children and adults, plot lines, musical numbers, healthy message, etc, etc...."shit" doesn't get show in 100 different countries!

To call it shit indicates one of two things: either you are judging it in a category that is irrelevant in which case you may as well say Lewis Hamilton is shit because he can't swim or you're shit because Matthew doesn't rhyme with heat (on which point, I win) or you are doing it for a laugh...which is fine and Charlie's slagging off of Lazy Town was very funny - until he carried out the posthumous Postgate fellatio and did a double standards back flip that Sporticus would have been proud of.

Edited by Aaron.

Quote: Pete @ December 17 2008, 2:35 PM GMT

You need to hang around more intelligent children!

Lazy Town is a success in most categories that it set out to be and that parents and children want it to be. Whether it's production values, appeal to children and adults, plot lines, musical numbers, healthy message, etc, etc...."shit" doesn't get show in 100 different countries!

To call it shit indicates one of two things: either you are judging it in a category that is irrelevant in which case you may as well say Lewis Hamilton is shit because he can't swim or you're shit because Matthew doesn't rhyme with heat (on which point, I win) or you are doing it for a laugh...which is fine and Charlie's slagging off of Lazy Town was very funny - until he carried out the posthumous Postgate fellatio and did a double standards back flip that Sporticus would have been proud of.

Edited by Aaron.

How about this then, I don't care. I think it's a terrible show, I don't care if others like it, ok? Why feel the need to support it so, you odd-bod. And those puppet things in it are just disturbing. As is the bad guy's stick on chin.