Scriptwriting? Why bother. Page 8

Was it a poor service? Titter

But were you both on the same wavelength?

I think you're over-playing this Perkins card, to be honest.

Edit: Oh, sorry we're on radio smut, now. Err, err, err, hang on amo....I pulled a DAB at the radio club, but when I got it home I found out it was a tranny.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 24th August 2014, 1:44 PM BST

Was it a poor service? Titter

I thought I turned it on.

Now I just need to remember it's Roberts Radio not Julia Roberts in the future.

It was a tranny sootyj!,, as you very well knew!

Quote: Marc P @ 24th August 2014, 1:44 PM BST

But were you both on the same wavelength?

I told her I was AC/DC turns out it was AM/FM

I think it was going to stick a finger up my chuff, as it was a digital radio,

Okay, the Inbetweeners lot, 3 actors got given their own sitcom. They had entered TV comedy through the Oxb route. It wasn't a trad sitcom style they used. So where was their form? Was it just a great first draft that any unsolicited writer would've got an instant commission with?

You are off rambling down irrelevant avenue again mr kipper. We are talking about writers!

Not so, Marc, they are now commissioned screenwriters as well. Comedy actors who became sitcom writers just like the over mentioned one.

Quote: Marc P @ 24th August 2014, 1:47 PM BST

It was a tranny sootyj!,, as you very well knew!

I thought it was a wind up.

All you can be given is a chance Alfred. You can have one too if you work hard at it like they did. And that's all you get everything else is a project or a script sold or not. No guarantees no stipends even if you didn't go to Uni. Don't look for the why not look for the why you can.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 23rd August 2014, 9:14 AM BST

Reading posts on various boards here (Boomers presently!) about the frustrations of budding script writers on this site here's my pennyworth.

I gave up sit- com script writing years ago as I'd have enough of seemingly arbitrary rejection and double standards.

I then tried sketch writing with moderate success, BUT THEN saw a couple of my rejected sketches turn up a year later on the same show - talk about spitting nails!!!!!!!!

The final nail in the coffin for me was when I regularly sent in sketches for Hale and Pace and was told in no uncertain terms that they NEVER did a sketch where one of them was dressed as a woman (I'd sent one in of course), and what happened? That's right - that same series had a sketch where Gareth was in female attire.

As I say, double standards and the other thing that used to grate is that the script editors also sometimes "submit" their own work, which of course is accepted. I am sure that my rejected Hale & Pace sketches were plagiarised by the script editor. How that is fair I don't know.

Who assesses and edits the editors? No one it seems.

Best of "luck" to all of you that are still banging at that door - for me they can stuff it where the sun don't shine. Angry

I submitted a sitcom that was set in a club. The owners arranged a different party scene ( for each ep) the one I submitted had a cowboy theme and at one point a cow is brought onto the dance floor where it craps. It was rejected but about two years later Pheonix Nights about night clubs was introduced. In one ep a horse was brought onto the dance floor where it crapped.

No offence Bush it ain't the most original idea.

Just got back from the Edinburgh festival. And one of the best comics I saw was Jim Davidson, none of his jokes were especially original.
It was how he told them.

Quote: sootyj @ 24th August 2014, 4:45 PM BST

No offence Bush it ain't the most original idea.

Just got back from the Edinburgh festival. And one of the best comics I saw was Jim Davidson, none of his jokes were especially original.
It was how he told them.

(faints in liberal distress)

I had a conservative distress, the Empire Line repressed my moobs and the hemline left me exposed to the chill of economic forces.